C4 Forums | Control4

Room Audio question

Ok, So I have an 8 zone amp that I pump audio into each room with. How in COmposer HE do I know when Audio is playing in a room? I want to change keypad button colors when audio is playing but I can't seem to find the right condition in composer.

You could. That way it becomes independent of what source is in use. You would also need to set that variable according to no source selected (OFF). Down the road, however, you may want to keep track of what is currently in use for each room. In that case, establishing variables to track this is nice.

I thought I read somewhere that 2.2 has something like this without going through the hassle of tracking variables, I can't remember...

Yeah, the system tracks all that for you. Click the little + sign next to stuff in the actions tab and you'll be surprised what you see.

But I didn't find anything to check if audio was playing....?

Yeah' date=' the system tracks all that for you. Click the little + sign next to stuff in the actions tab and you'll be surprised what you see.[/quote']

But I didn't find anything to check if audio was playing....?

It's there. I can look specifically when I get home.

Some utility is there to get the job done. You can set a conditional for a particular AUDIO_OUTPUT channel to correspond to a given INPUT. If it equals then do something. I guess you could say if the INPUT is not equal to zero then something is playing in that room.

All of that is under your Control4 Amplifier in Actions.

I was wanting to write something like:

if speakers_in_livingroom = Playing any audio source

==> Living_room_audio_variable=true

You can do this. I did it too. But the simple way to do it is if room is not equal to off then.... Just imagine if you have 10 sources, you'd need ten conditions for the processor to run-down (unless you hit a positive right off the bat and command a STOP).

Create a STRING variable. When you fire-off a source in a room, set the var to TV or BD, etc. That info will be used for other code such as announcement for someone that a source is already in use.

That, to me, equates to my first post and the feature that Dan pointed out. You can check for a true condition on both the ZONE(OUTPUT) and the SOURCE(INPUT). There is nothing that can sense voltage down a wire or sound pressure at the speaker. I'm a little confused as to the usefulness of what you are trying to accomplish.

so I am using 2buttons on 6 button keypad for volume control when audio is playing in that room. What I want to do is set the led color on those buttons audio is playing in the speakers, so that you know you can use them for audio volume.

Am i explaining that better?

so I am using 2buttons on 6 button keypad for volume control when audio is playing in that room. What I want to do is set the led color on those buttons audio is playing in the speakers, so that you know you can use them for audio volume.

Am i explaining that better?

Sure, I do this. Set it up like a VU meter. Green for say 15, yellow for 25 and red for 35. Those are the numbers my C4 amp is set to. Everytime the button is pushed, it increments a variable that equates to the select volume.

Sorry, that example is for one-button applications. If two, use the push and hold strategy for incrementing/decrementing V.

so I am using 2buttons on 6 button keypad for volume control when audio is playing in that room. What I want to do is set the led color on those buttons audio is playing in the speakers' date=' so that you know you can use them for audio volume.

Am i explaining that better?[/quote']

Sure, I do this. Set it up like a VU meter. Green for say 15, yellow for 25 and red for 35. Those are the numbers my C4 amp is set to. Everytime the button is pushed, it increments a variable that equates to the select volume.

ok, but how do u start it...like how do u know when audio is playing out the speakers? do you turn the volume to 0 when you power a zone off?

that would be close..but just cause the room is on..doesn't mean that audio is playing out the speakers int he room...

If you only have audio sources, then yes, it does mean that audio is playing out of the speakers.

The only time this wouldn't mean that audio is playing is if you have video sources local in the room that don't connect through the speakers in the ceiling.

This is the old way that ILC4 documented. I swear I saw a new function under 2.2 that tracks sources.

It's not new for 2.2...it has been around for a while. It's a variable under + for the ROOM...not the source or the AMP, but the ROOM.

Archived