C4 Forums | Control4

Network Question...

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here can share some knowledge on this.

I currently have a WRVS4400N (V1.1) that runs the network. Connected to it are a Dell 2724 Powerconnect, and connected to it is an 8 port Linksys PoE switch. I would like the ability to setup a SEPERATE wireless network for people to use when they're at the house to get online, but not to get on MY NETWORK that has all my computers, NAS, C4 gear, etc...

My WRVS4400N does NOT support multiple SSID.

I have a Linksys WRT54G that I haven't used for a long time but haven't thrown out either. I'm wondering if it would be possible to someone use that to create a seperate wireless network that I could allow friends/family to use when visiting.

I don't know hardly anything about networking, but I am thinking I could setup a VLAN using one of the unused ports on the WRVS4400N, and then connect the WRT54G to that, with the WRT54G just setup in WAP mode. Am I on the right track? Is this possible? If it is possible, and I am on the right track, can anyshed some more light on exactly how I might accomplish this?

At some point when we get settled in the new house I want to build a little PC to run PFSENSE (like what pstuart did) and then I'll have support for multiple SSID on one box, but until then...I'd like to get this accomplished as stated above is possible.

Thanks in advance.

I chatted with a friend and did a little more reading online.

It looks like I can easily just setup a VLAN on the WRVS4400N on one of it's unused ports, and then plug the WRT54g in there. Should work just fine.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, in case anyone else is interested.

This is yet another feature that is standard on a enterprise-level WiFi controllers.

I know. The WiFi controller I have is "Enterprise Level", but they implemented this feature in version 2.0 and I have version 1.1 (one version prior).

This setup is only temporary (few months) but will work until I make the next move (custom built machine running PFSENSE).

Dan,

Let me know if you need any assistance via email. This will take a little networking, but the following is what you need:

Create a Vlan on Dell.

Give the VLAN a default IP like: 10.10.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 (allows 254 addresses)

Give the Linksys wrt54g a IP like 10.10.1.2

Configure dhcp on wireless

Voila

Only caveat is that some of the Linksys wrt54g requires you to use 192.168.1.x. This tends to be the default for most networks.

This is yet another feature that is standard on a enterprise-level WiFi controllers.

I know. The WiFi controller I have is "Enterprise Level"' date=' but they implemented this feature in version 2.0 and I have version 1.1 (one version prior).

This setup is only temporary (few months) but will work until I make the next move (custom built machine running PFSENSE).[/quote']

ehh, I wouldn't put the 4400 in a "controller" class.

I know. The WiFi controller I have is "Enterprise Level"' date=' but they implemented this feature in version 2.0 and I have version 1.1 (one version prior).

This setup is only temporary (few months) but will work until I make the next move (custom built machine running PFSENSE).[/quote']

ehh, I wouldn't put the 4400 in a "controller" class.

Just going what it said on the box =)

What I do is this...

I set up a separate network / VLAN on my firewall / router (pfsense 2.0) and I have 4 network ports (2 dual nic cards in the computer).

Then I hook up a wireless access point to that.

Then I let that wireless network be an open network, ie no password required.

Turn on AP isolation, so every connected wifi device can't see other wifi devices.

Then I use the captive portal (built into pfsense) to issue login tokens for guests which allows people to surf the web, and I can issue specific users access, shut off access, etc.

This is practically identical to hotels and public wifi spots. My tokens are set to expire after 24 hours, so they need to reauthorize after that time.

Lastly, I set up bandwidth limits on that VLAN on the router to make sure my guests don't hog my bandwidth.

This is not for the novice, but when its all set up, it is awesome :)

I have multiple SSID on my Cisco wrvs4400n

I had to use WEP for my 10.5 TS which was my 2nd SSID

Interesting

You must have one that is version 2.0. Mine is version 1.1.

pstuart, I'll do that soon...just don't have time at present. Keep tempting me though...I love it!

Archived