C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 wireless outlet for pinball/arcade games

drmark12pa

Has anyone used the Control4 outlet switch to control full size arcade games or pinball machines?

I'm looking to use these so I can push them together/against a wall as their power on toggle swithces are on the back of the machine. My only concern is if the Control4 switches are sturdy enough for the amps/wattage of these machines.

I've looked in my arcade manuals and can only find that they require (of course) 110v AC....

I have a classic Tron upright arcade and Discs of Tron environmental.... I'm not sure what the amp usage or wattage is as I cannot find this in any specs. My concern is that if it's plugged into the Control4 outlet switch that the switch can handle any power on requirement and not fry....

^^Understood but it's essential that the current draw is known. Somewhere like 5.2~7.2A total is what the C4 parts is rated at. I've pulled more than that through for extended periods but not suggesting you do that.

I'm having trouble finding the amp rating of my video games.... Nothing in the manual and nothing on the internet that I can find. I typically only use them periodically when I have guests over and such so don't run them often so my hope is that since they won't be used in a continuous fashion they will be ok....

Well, I can tell you I have used one on a coffee machine for quite a while now and that thing spikes to 10.5A and settles around 7. Maybe make a trip to HD or Lowes and pick-up a cheap watt meter wart and test it.

Get yourself a Kill-A-Watt, and see what's it's drawing.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Great idea! Bought it tonight.... Here are my 2 games that I need to control....

TRON 2A 220w

Discs of Tron 3.76A 320-350w

Based on those numbers it sounds like the Control4 outlet will work.... any opinions?

I use a bunch of them for this exact purpose, I have 2 full size pinballs, a millipede, a ms pacman, a zaxxon, a galaga, and a golden tee and a full size slot machine and all have been used with the outlet switches for a few years now with no problems

I use a bunch of them for this exact purpose, I have 2 full size pinballs, a millipede, a ms pacman, a zaxxon, a galaga, and a golden tee and a full size slot machine and all have been used with the outlet switches for a few years now with no problems

That's exactly the situation I was looking to use.... My pinballs are readily turned on with the switch under the front but the full size video game cabinets are way on the back side and unless you provide space between the machines you would literally need a step ladder. I love the idea of using the Control4 outlet to turn off/on with a remote control click.

and having one button to turn them all on is a pretty cool effect

I was going to ask about that... .it won't overload the switch to have both outlets turn on games at the same time? I wasn't sure if that initial surge/draw would be a bit much....

and having one button to turn them all on is a pretty cool effect

I was going to ask about that... .it won't overload the switch to have both outlets turn on games at the same time? I wasn't sure if that initial surge/draw would be a bit much....

I havent had any issues with them in over 3 years and we throw lots of parties :)

I was a outlet switch to control a 3/4 hp outdoor sump pump and have had no issues for 4 years

That's a little worse than my coffee maker. Start-up on a 3/4 motor that's probably not the efficient type? You're looking at possibly over 15A @ FL and something like 8 continuous.

Archived