C4 Forums | Control4

This looks very interesting

I can't imagine this would be a good thing. Zigbee and Zwave both have extremely low latency that wifi doesn't. If you have a wifi device drop off it takes a few seconds to reconnect. Zigbee takes a couple of milliseconds.

Interesting concept, but unlikely to succeed.

If you'll look closely, the cards (which are what you'd use to add the imp functionality to a device) sell for $25.

That right there knocks it out of contention for a *lot* of devices.

Also, it's a WiFi solution, so you're going to need consistent WiFi coverage over the whole place, and even though they're touted as 'low power', you're not likely to beat ZigBee's low power with a WiFi chipset.

RyanE

I beg to differ. the actual cards are sub $1 and they are backed by Redpoint, which is a top tier VC firm in the valley. the team is very strong as well. I could go on but suffice it to say they have a very strong offering.

Here's what I'm reading:

"The Imp card itself will retail for $25. Discounted cards for bundling are available to manufacturers."

-- http://www.electricimp.com/product/

Here's what you're reading:

"The solution we created not only deals with the technical issues, it also makes it possible to internet-enable a device for under $1, opening up whole new categories of devices that would never have been cost-effective to enable before: tweeting bird feeders, logging cat-flaps, greenhouse monitors...."

-- http://www.electricimp.com/manufacturers/

I take both of them to mean: the hardware to add the SD card slot is $1. The card to stick in that "internet enabled" slot is an additional $25.

RyanE

BTW, if the Imp cards themselves are $1, sign me up. I'll take 10.

Even at $25, I can see them being used for a lot of experimentation, but I have issues with:

* Since it's "in the cloud", they could yank support at any time, or if they go under, there goes your data!

* With their chosen config method (clever, yes), you have to have the 'front' of the card available.

RyanE

To me it jus shows this industry is ripe for a disruptive innovator. These guys may or may not be the real deal, but someone will figure out reasonable priced, easy to use home automation. The current players will wish they had innovated when that time comes. I have no I dea when that will be, but I hope soon

Archived