C4 Forums | Control4

Structured wiring for control 4--help

bhat

Just got introduced to this forum. Would appreciate if there would be anyone in this forum who is willing to draw the wiring on my plans. I am building a house and would want the house wired for Control 4. I am on a tight budget and want the wiring in place for now ( the gadgets have to wait). The framework is up for the house and the sheetrock is NOT "ON" yet.

Please contact if you want to be generous by helping me save some $$$$$

Thanks

bhat, there is no universal wiring for "Control4". The bulk of what people see as "Control4" is often a 3rd party product that is interfaced.

Wire your lighting like normal, run speaker wire from every room to a central location, put a CAT5 anywhere you might want a touchpanel, and run conduit from every potential TV location back the same central location as your speaker wire. Put a few pull lines in the conduit. Also, think about if you might want equipment located conveniently in a room (IE: Nintendo Wii mounted in the closet near the great room), and run conduit from that location to the TV as well.

Aside from a solid network, there isn't really "standard wiring for Control4".

Oh yeah...run a CAT5 from where the equipment will go to the garage also...and a pair of CAT5 and an RG6 to any future camera locations.

Wire your lighting like normal.

Not that I would consider it "normal" but try to avoid the a switch-leg lighting configuration if you can. I have an old house from the 60's and making everything work the way I want to with C4 was a bit of a pain.

How about an extra run of electric to an area that a 3 or 6 button can be located. I had a hard time explaining to my electrician i wanted a box with no switch or outlet in it. so he refused to do it. I added them later but it was a pain. I wish I would have pushed it because I have used up my multi gang boxes.

How about an extra run of electric to an area that a 3 or 6 button can be located. I had a hard time explaining to my electrician i wanted a box with no switch or outlet in it. so he refused to do it. I added them later but it was a pain. I wish I would have pushed it because I have used up my multi gang boxes.

I had a similar issue tring to explain about the boxes for keypads. I finally just told one electrician I wanted an outlet there and just needed power. Popped out the outlet and put in 3 or 6-buttons.

Please take the advice above about the flexible conduit. I thought I had run it all over and I still missed one closet I needed. Run to and between attic spaces, detached garage, etc.

Archived