C4 Forums | Control4

How much is too much media?

I am running with an HC1000 plus a couple of HC300s. I notice that adding a sizeable amount of media (mp3s, mkvs) slows down my system by a few (annoying) seconds.

I've got an 8TB NAS that is almost full. I'm looking to add another 12TB or 20TB NAS to the network. But I'm not even sure if that will be handled by Control4.

I'm sure others here have bigger NAS and more media. What is the best way to handle this.

Well I think it is safe to assume that the larger the more media data that the system has to process the more time it will take to pull up the information. I am sure Control4 can handle it(with a longer delay). The thing is from the sound of it you might not be able to without being driven crazy.

What's the problem? Where is the "delay " of a few seconds?

Are we talking scrolling thru the library using the on screen nav. (in which case it will be the HC300)..? the best solution here is to upgrade to one of the new controllers.. or/

Loading and playing the movie (ie once you hit the green arrow play button..in which case could this be the network speeds/NAS)

You need to be more specific what bugs you... :)

What's the problem? Where is the "delay " of a few seconds?

Are we talking scrolling thru the library using the on screen nav. (in which case it will be the HC300)..? the best solution here is to upgrade to one of the new controllers.. or/

Loading and playing the movie (ie once you hit the green arrow play button..in which case could this be the network speeds/NAS)

You need to be more specific what bugs you... :)

I'm talking the whole system, from scrolling the covera arts which I expected. but my keypads is noticeably 1 to 2 seconds slow when I jumped from 25gb of mp3s to 250gb, I also added about 500gbs of mkvs in my NAS.

Playing the movies and mp3s are fine its the daily push buttons and remote control use that slow down.

I'm just considering that a collection just usually just grows when does it become a point that I need to start trimming it. Because I'm in the market for a bigger NAS. I could buy the biggest NAs but if my systems will slow down to a crawl then There is no point for a big NAS.

I'm just looking for feedback of a happy medium how big the current library's of forum members. At least the ones using HC1000.

As your library grows you should consider replacing your HC1000 and HC300 with an HC800. It will improve both onscreen performance and list navigator performance as well as other areas.

Alternatively consider getting an iPad or a high end Android tablet. The tablets will perform better in media selection because the have the horsepower and talk directly to the 1000.

The biggest bottle neck is the HC-300. It simply does not have the power to keep up with media libraries on 2.2 and above. In my customers installations I dont even upgrade past 2.1.1 unless they have a 800 or 250. Also your HC-300 is the Zigbee access point and it is already slowed (assumed) because it is also doing on screen.

You will notice a substantial performance boost switching to an 800 as master and 250's for other rooms. In your situation if you can swing the $$$ you will be very happy. I upgrade my system from an 1000/300 to an 800 and noticed a substantial improvement and I dont have a media library. there is also a electrical and noise savings. The 800 consumes 25% of the electricity that the 1000/300 combined do and the 800 is quiet. Also the 800 gives you esata access for faster disk access.

It will be hard to answer how large of a library is good for a 1000. For example a 1000/300 running 1.8.2 will perform faster on a large library than a 1000/300 on 2.2.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brett.

So 2.11 handles media faster than 2.2? Good to know.

I'll trim my media collection for now and limit it's size. I'll delay any controller upgrades as long as I could.

Does HC800/HC1000 combo even make any sense?

I am sure that he did not mean that 2.1 handles media better than 2.2.

Maybe he can explain better, because they did not make changes to media handling in the revision change. (or at least they did not mention them in the release notes)

I wouldn't replace the HC-1000/300 combo as much as I would consider adding an HC-250 or 800 for navigator. This then allows you to have additional audio streaming, additional IO's & IR's for future growth, as well as the increase in navigator speed.

Thanks Brett.

So 2.11 handles media faster than 2.2? Good to know.

That is not the case.

The HC300 doesn't have to horsepower to run the flash navigator quickly, which was introduced in 2.0, not 2.1, or 2.2. I has very little to do with media library size. It will be slow loading a small media library too.

Archived