C4 Forums | Control4

HC-800 cable box control delay

discipulus1

Hello everyone,

I had a quick question and was hoping someone had the answer to. Every now and then while watching TV I'll hit the remote and the cable box doesn't respond. I've been watching the IR when this happens and the IR isn't blinking making me think its the C4 unit.

This use to happen with my HC-1000 / HC-500 combo and I was thinking it was maybe running into some issues with processing speed but it's still happening after being replaced with the HC-800. This happens a few times a day. Can anyone think of what would be causing this? Please let me know if you need more detailed information. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

The SR is responsive as in I can change rooms etc but none of the commands it sends seems to be exexucted for the duration including the receiver, pre-programmed lights etc. It's as if the HC controller is busy and unable to execute the commands from the SR. Somehow I'm starting to think this might be more of a programming issue?

Programming, how so? I don't think a command or two or three puts a dent in a 1000 or an 800. Detective Suite>Performance and send in some commands- bet you get a blip or two and that's it. Sniff the area for WiFi traffic. If you had this problem before then it's most likely interference or non-optimal Zigbee hopping.

Tell you what, I just ran into some issues on my personal system running 2.2.2. Had another storm here and lost Internet connectivity for a bit. If "director" (your HC800) can't get dns resolution you will experience delays in zigbee, IR processing, etc.

There was a patch in 2.2.2 that was supposed to fix this, but I can tell you from first hand experience the problem still exists.

This said, has your Internet service been reliable ?

It's not uncommon to have 3 streams of Rhapsody playing in different rooms and a couple TV's in different rooms along with 130 or so Zigbee devices including gate and garage modules, 7 touch panels, few iPhones, iPads, MyHomePC's, Lutron blinds, Somfy RTS automatic outdoor screens, pool, outdoor and 4 other controllers throughout the house.

On average the load on the system seems minimal but sometimes the performance graph blips to 100%. The other HC-300's / HC-500's are running Loads of 0.35 on average with 10-20% CPU. My thought that it was during these 100% episodes that the commands are ignored. Perhaps there is some sort of loop in the programming? Also, is it normal to see such high loads / CPU usage on the older controllers? Thank you.

Ive had this issue from the beginning, I commented on

it before. I just use my HC-300c for IR without any issues. Im guessing it has something to do with the ir hardware rather than the software side.

Could be. I worked at my neighbor's house for several days on a problem that turned out to be a sick 300. That thing was firing-off IR randomly and was sluggish the other times. Replaced it with one of mine and the problems never came back.

Archived