C4 Forums | Control4

Streaming HD Video from shared source? Best method?

I currently have a mac mini holding a library of movies. I also have apple tv's attached to each of my 3 televisions in the home. The C4 system controls the apple tv's. Is there any better method of doing this? I would rather have a nice c4 interface with cover art. Has anyone used the DUNE players? Are these compatable with the c4 interface?

Yes, I use a Dune at home and at work. Yes, they are compatible and there's a driver for it in Composer. I like them but hear the Popcorn Hour has a more powerful chipset, though I'm not upgrading quite yet.

XBMC might be an option. I assume you are running OSX on the mac mini?

Sounds like you have what you need working...

You might find mymovies might be a nice catalog software for your collection, combine that with a dune and its pretty good.

If you want to get into the Control4 ecosystem, and the media library, realize it has some major limitations at the moment. For movies, its fine, but if you start adding tv shows or serialized content (tv shows on dvd or bluray, etc) the dune or XBMC drivers will send the URL path to the player and it will play.

I find it better to manage my content outside of control4 and use control4 to control the player only. Just my two cents...

At least Apple DRM TV shows can be directed to "play" from within the Control4 media library. Sure the way the library looks and catalogues is pretty lame, but at least there is a way to get it working..

Whenever these threads start up, everyone forgets about the obvious problem: finding a media player streaming solution that catalogues *All* content. Apple and non Apple. DRM and non DRM.

The control4 library can do this.

I just wish the mothership would spend a bit more money sprucing up the GUI and coverart search and whole cataloging "experience". They now have powerful enough controllers to run and display the Control4 media library (the HC800 and 250's). Why doesn't control4 spend a tiny bit more and improve the software side of their library?

XBMC might be an option. I assume you are running OSX on the mac mini?

Sounds like you have what you need working...

You might find mymovies might be a nice catalog software for your collection, combine that with a dune and its pretty good.

If you want to get into the Control4 ecosystem, and the media library, realize it has some major limitations at the moment. For movies, its fine, but if you start adding tv shows or serialized content (tv shows on dvd or bluray, etc) the dune or XBMC drivers will send the URL path to the player and it will play.

I find it better to manage my content outside of control4 and use control4 to control the player only. Just my two cents...

Are you saying that the Dune and or XBMC will control a Sony Cx7000? I can only play files on my NAS and I use MyMovies to generate Data for my Dune player. I would like to totally DUMP Control4 for media management just like Katie Holmes dumped Tom Cruise but I need a player that will control both the Player and media files at the same time and I don't want to run Windoze anything ;)

Archived