C4 Forums | Control4

Easiest and best way to add security cameraas?

Scrib

Would like to add a couple of cameras for outside security. House is already built and finished. I know my installer left cat 6 runs in the attics, so maybe I can take advantage of those?

Recommended systems/cameras? Don't break my wallet, please. :)

If you have CAT6 runs i recommend utilising IP camera solutions with a NVR. Axis make a great range of cameras that is compatible with Control4. In terms of recommendations on model it would depend on the environment. I highly recommend that you get a security integrator to come in and have a look prior to purchase.

• 5 months later...

Talked to my installer, they are suggesting a 4 Channel Wirepath 500GB DVR and based on outside setup, we're going to go with four cameras. I am leaning towards dome cameras (less visible) and the suggestion from them is the Digimerge DPV24DL. (http://www.digimerge.com/product/dpv24dl-smart-ir-vandal-dome-camera/).

Since there is full attic access, they can run all wires through the attic, down to my bonus room, where the DVR will sit. Then Cat6 down to my rack and into the HC800, which is already pulled.

Full install with labor and tax is $2700. Decent deal? I am taking the recommendation of my installer on what cameras to go with, so if there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears. A cheaper solution, by about $250 total was to go with the following: http://www.staub.ca/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=WPS-300-DOM-A-WH

• 4 weeks later...
The 'installation' part is really the biggest variable and depends on how difficult the job is.

Also does your dealer charge for followups and service calls?

He's probably in the right ballpark.

Job is pulling the wire from the outside, through the soffits, run it through the attic and down to the bonus room over the garage, where I have a switch back down to the rack on the main floor. The DVR will sit in the bonus room with some other AV gear, Cat6 down to the switch in the rack and into the HC800. Should be able to get it done in a day.

Like anything, I am sure anything outside of a reasonable time after installation I would have to pay, unless it can be done remotely.

• 1 month later...

Got the cameras and DVR installed last week. Overall, pleased with the work. Cameras and sensitivity need to be tweaked, but provides my wife with a better sense of security.

Now I need to better understand the DVR capabilities. Specifically wondering if there are time lapse or image capture opportunties. Next up is to integrate a weather station and would be sweet to have real time images available to compliment the data.

Archived