C4 Forums | Control4

Direct TV

Was asked by a friend if it is possible to get video off a direct tv dvr - I can only think of a video capture card or DVD recorder - am I missing an option? It is an older non-TIVO version which I heard might have software hacks for this.

Sling is your best bet. DO NOT GO THE NOMAD route. I had it and returned it, beaucse it sucks! The download time is discgusting! 1-3 to download 1 show!

Agreed about the download time! It is good if you want to watch programs when no wi-fi is available

But there is a software that you can purchase for about 30.00 that lets you download what your slingbox is showing onto a pc. I do it all the time. I'll download a few shows to watch when I'm away then delete them off my computer after I've watched it. In my other job I work nights with a lot of down time. So I catch up on my shows.

Can record your slingbox video (or any video playing) using VLC for free as well. But you have to record each show in real time, might as well just watch it while you are doing it. Haven't used any of the apps to record my slingbox lately, but I'm sure they work for clips and such, I wouldn't want it to do much more than that. If any actually control the slingbox and allow multiple program recording, or timer based recording of a stream, then you might have something...

The Nomad transcodes the video off the DVR and puts it in iOS format (with DRM) and copies it to each device (up to 5) and is only valid for 30 days before it expires.

But there is a software that you can purchase for about 30.00 that lets you download what your slingbox is showing onto a pc. I do it all the time. I'll download a few shows to watch when I'm away then delete them off my computer after I've watched it. In my other job I work nights with a lot of down time. So I catch up on my shows.

OK, you got me guessing here... What other job?? Down time? uhh, security guard?? JUST KIDDING!

Archived