C4 Forums | Control4

Adding an album or a song

Hi guys,

I have a fairly large mp3 collection, and I sometimes want to add a newly acquired song or album to my c4 library...

In composer, when I go into 'Audio Media' and click on 'Add' in the top right corner and then select the folder with the mp3 inside, it comes up with the scan box...

Does this mean that it will re-scan my whole library just to add one song?? Or will it only scan what I have just selected??

How does one import a couple of new songs, or a new album and have it show up in the navigator without having to wait for a whole re-scan of the library??

:/

I think you have to perform a full rescan of the folder. I have a large collection and I don't think it took that long to add the new albums/song.

The problem I find is that the music cover art changes when you rescan. If you rescan a large collection and all your album art is wrong that will be a lot of manual collection you would have to do. Please correct me if there is another way to do it without affecting the cover arts for music. I do not know if this applies for movies as well

Hang on. The SCAN performed after using the ADD button or even if you force a scan manually will NOT overwrite existing data - unless you set it to, 2.0 up only option and not the default.

While it will indeed "scan" the whole drive, it will only be checking if anything has been changed in comparison to the data-base (high level scan). Once it finds which changes are made (ie songs deleted or added) it will check those files and either delete them from the database or add them and try and find their info.

Speed is VERY dependent both on software version and controller. from 2.0 on the scanning has been changed rather dramatically. Before it was you computer controlling the scan via your controller. Now it's the controller doing it itself (you can start the scan, close your PC and it will continue). The new method is MUCH more efficient too, and overall scanning speeds have improved a LOT. As in, I'm seeing down to less then 10% of before on my system - 450gigs of mp3 music files songs, 7Tb of movies (all ISO or AVI - no HD) done in a matter of 2-3 hours -from scratch- (1000 controller)

Obviously, especially on 2.0 and on, the faster the controller, the faster the scan.

Archived