C4 Forums | Control4

My HC1000's identify button broke

For some reason the identify button got depressed way deep. When I tried to press with paper clip it fell off. The LED lights are working and the unit is working.

I did lose the zserver (it whent offline) on this unit so I'm thinking of doing a USB restore to get it back (assuming that the zigbee radio is not fried) Brand new unit less than a year.

After I do a restore, Can i get away with reinstalling the HC1000 in the project without the IDENTIFY button?

Yes, on the network page you should see the controller in the list on the right side of the connections page:network tab. I rarely if ever use Identify buttons on the controllers and amplifiers. Just Zigbee devices...

That's a relief. I want to replace the HC1000 with the HC800 when I upgrade to 2.2.2 and I'd hate to think that the person that buys it will have problems installing it. But don't you need the IDENTIFY button to factory reset it though?

I knew it couldn't be a Zigbee coordinator, I guess it was never my a Zigbee server either. Thanks for your help

A 1000 can be a ZigBee server, just not a Coordinator or ZAP, both of which require the radio.

ZigBee Server talks to Coordinators and ZAPs, and doesn't require a radio.

RyanE

I knew it couldn't be a Zigbee coordinator' date=' I guess it was never my a Zigbee server either. Thanks for your help[/quote']

A 1000 can be a ZigBee server, just not a Coordinator or ZAP, both of which require the radio.

ZigBee Server talks to Coordinators and ZAPs, and doesn't require a radio.

RyanE

Ok, i wasn't losing my mind. Thanks for the clarification

But don't you need the IDENTIFY button to factory reset it though?

No

Mhhh YES actually, sort of if all you read is the official guide to factory restore.

Once restore is finished, on the 1000 you would take out the usb stick and press the ID button to reboot the controller and finalizse the restore.

This however can also be accomplished by using the "reset" button (pinhole in the front or push button in the back depending on model) or simply powercycling the unit as well.

Even easier within the same project however is that after you do a restore, and re-load the project the same 1000 will still be ID'd in the back-up so no need to identify to begin with.

This of course doesn't help when selling off the 1000 later.

Also, consider that another option over replacing the 1000 with an 800 is adding a 250 instead. the 1000's current processing power still outstrips a system's needs and the 250 will give you the improved list nav over zigbee and faster on-screen as well as the 800 does. Just a thought.

Archived