C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Dimmer to Power Ceiling Fan (On/Off)

I had an electrician over to install some more Dimmers in the home. I am slowly finding out that I can't get any C4 Switch to work in the home. I purchased C4 Wireless Switch for all the fan outlets. Unfortunately, the C4 Switch can't control the load. The ceiling fan turns on and then off.

When we used a C4 Wireless Dimmer and set the ramp up/down rate to 0 and Max/Preset Level to 100, it works. The only issue is that I am getting a slight hum from the Ceiling Fan.

There is a separate outlet for the Ceiling Fan and one for the Ceiling Fan lights. The ceiling fan lights are working appropriately.

Any ideals what I am doing wrong or will I have to go back to the standard flip switch for the ceiling fan?

Thank You in advanced.

I had an electrician over to install some more Dimmers in the home. I am slowly finding out that I can't get any C4 Switch to work in the home. I purchased C4 Wireless Switch for all the fan outlets. Unfortunately, the C4 Switch can't control the load. The ceiling fan turns on and then off.

When we used a C4 Wireless Dimmer and set the ramp up/down rate to 0 and Max/Preset Level to 100, it works. The only issue is that I am getting a slight hum from the Ceiling Fan.

There is a separate outlet for the Ceiling Fan and one for the Ceiling Fan lights. The ceiling fan lights are working appropriately.

Any ideals what I am doing wrong or will I have to go back to the standard flip switch for the ceiling fan?

Thank You in advanced.

Any time you use a dimmer on a fan it is going to hum. Period. That has been what i was told and my experience each time I have defied it.

You simply need a switch to control the fan and a separate dimmer to control the light. All the fans that I have in my house are on a switch and I set the direction of travel and speed from a pull chain.

That is your best possible option (or at least that is my experience.)

Bill

I've got 5 fan's on C4 switches, and no problems. Not helping you with the problem as much as letting you know it should work just fine. I'm in the US, so I'm not sure on any foreign voltages, but I've got 1 Fanimation fans that turns 2 belt driven blades and the C4 switch has never had an issue.

Are you sure your electrician wired it up using a dedicated neutral wire?

Unlike Control4's dimmers, Control4 switches *require* a dedicated neutral going to the switch, not just a 'switch leg' configuration that dimmers can use.

i.e. the switch box has a black and a white, both coming from the fan, and the switch connects them to turn on, disconnects to turn off.

Control4 switches will not work in a 'switch leg' configuration.

RyanE

Hi Ryan,

I am unsure if he wired the C4 Wireless Switch correctly. The configuration he used for the switch would continuously switch the power on/off. I have had this issue for 90+% of all the locations where I would normally install a switch. I am only able to get dimmers to work in those locations.

If I remember correctly, we had 3 wires coming from the wall. I will call the Electrician to verify.

Bare Wire --> Ground

Red Wire --> Load

Black Wire --> Common

If he only has 3 wires hooked up to the Control4 device, that's a 'switch leg' configuration, and is not supported by Control4 switches.

The white wire (neutral) on the switch must be connected to a neutral connector (*not ground*).

RyanE

Thanks for the response Ryan. Sounds like I will need to stick with a Conventional switch for the Ceiling fans.

Avery

Too bad - auto fans (in Texas anyway) are very nice.

Another option would be to control this in your attic - run your wires to the fan from the top?

Bill

Archived