C4 Forums | Control4

Generator Install Cost - reasonableness

sjj31a

All, I have a buddy who wants me to review a generator install quote, its a classic, bought it thought he would do himself then too complex (Generac 5875 - 20KW). The install seems pretty straight forward as all the electric and natural gas are on the same side of the house as well as where he will put it and they have an undergarage that leads to the utility room so the pathway to the main breaker is pretty simple. Anyway, I just want to make sure he doesn't get gouged (particularly in lieu of sandy). What is a reasonable hookup charge for electric work and Natural gas hookup for an automatic standby such as this one.

For the 20kw we charged about 5k placed (footer battery etc and in place)

Gas is usually about $300 and electric $800 to $1000. $6500 or so total tax and all.

Thats the nexus switch which is what he wants.

That makes more sense re 1300 he is getting quoted around 3000 which seems high. What is the nexus switch you are referring too does that come with the panel or is that a remote monitoring switch?

We paid for the propane generator (purchased a honda out of Maine and shipped to Texas and it was $1000 cheaper from there - go figure.

Paid for a special switch to handle the switch over well.

We paid about 3-500 dollars to add it to our propane line.

We paid about $500.00 to have it hooked up to the electric.

HTH,

Bill

the nexus is the automatic transfer switch...........you can have loads hooked up with lv wire, to manage loads.......is nice if you can get a/c's wired to it.........it will enable you to put more on the generator, to meet code requirements.....using a smaller generator............not to mention is cheaper anyway, then the standard ATS

• 4 months later...
Any of you in this thread figure out a way to connect the state of the generator to Control4? I'm also looking to monitor the fuel levels via C4. Any insights?

Mine is propane, so I do not have that need.

I did want to know if it was running though.

I have not come up with a nice way to know that.

Bill

eGauge/TED combined with Eragy will get the usage of it into C4. You'd have to do the subscription plan to do anything with the variables though, and even then I'm not clear what you would get.

On the fuel, not sure.

I have the same 20kw generac model. The electrician my builder used quoted $8900 for the generator, battery, pad, and 4 DLM (managing load shedding devices), and a transfer switch. The plumber that needs to hook up the gas line didn't give me his cost yet.

I thought it was high, but when I went out to get quotes from other reputable places, they were all in the $11K-$12K range.

I'm in Northern NJ. I thought I got a reasonable quote for this generator and install at $8900 + plumber fees + permit fees (approx $150 from the town). Reading this post, it looks like I was overcharged.

Archived