C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 RS232 Port

I got my HC800 at the beginning of this year and I had it configured remotely. It works great except that one of the RS232 ports is not working. I tested the continuity of the cable connecting the outer port to the main board and everything looks fine, which leads me to believe that the issue is not at the hardware level. The dealer that is programming the system remotely has tried everything he knows without success and tells me that he cannot further troubleshoot remotely.

I really believe that the problem is not physical but at the software level. It looks as if the port is deactivated on the BIOS level or something like that, is that even a possibility??? any ideas about what could be the cause of a perfectly connected port that does not work???

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

Ivan

It is running on the latest one, since the first thing the dealer did when we encounter the problem was to update the software.

First we had a Somfy interface connected and we thought that the problem was on the interface side, then we swap ports with the other RS232 on the HC800 (It was connected to an OPPO Blu Ray player, which was working flawlessly) and the interface started working with no issues. Needless to say, it is now the OPPO that cannot be controled.

All ports are on a single card so shut-off in bios is not likely. A factory restore however should also re-flash the bios to factory default so that may be worth a shot.

A dead 232 port as such is far from impossible, but being an 800 it should be in full warranty - meaning you would get an advance replacement 800 so no real "downtime".

Cyknight: Do you mean that I receive the replacement unit BEFORE I sent the defective one? Are you sure about this? The only reason I have been reluctant to make a warranty claim is because I am located in Puerto Rico and it would take ages to send it to Control4 for repair and I don't want to be "in the dark" for so long...

Yes, Advanced Replacement means they'd send a repaired ('B-Stock') unit to your dealer, who would then need to send back the old one. That's how it works in the 50 states.

You would have to ask your dealer if Advance Replacement is available in PR.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the policy is the same.

RyanE

I had an issue before on 2.2.x where a serial binding would work, and then stop working. Resolution was to delete the binding and re-bind in Composer. This was at different sites with different hardware (hc250/hc800 and Sony projector, oppo player, Marantz receivers, etc.) Works fine after that, so you might give that a try if you haven't already.

Cyknight: Do you mean that I receive the replacement unit BEFORE I sent the defective one? Are you sure about this? The only reason I have been reluctant to make a warranty claim is because I am located in Puerto Rico and it would take ages to send it to Control4 for repair and I don't want to be "in the dark" for so long...

While, as Ryan stated, I can't be sure for PR, this is how it works in the US, Canada and several other locations across the globe (there are several "localized" tech-support options and I can't say I'm familiar with them all).

Archived