C4 Forums | Control4

how to kick off usb recovery from telnet?

CT

I'm trying to revive an older speakerpoint running 1.2.4 to (eventually) 1.8.2. I can't get it to update from any version of composer. More direct methods fail...

Apt-get and sysman update fails with errors:

Could not connect to updater.control4.com:8081 (204.246.145.21), connection timed out

Failed to fetch http://updater.control4.com:8081/polly/release/Packages.gz

I have 1.3.2 on the USB stick, but it won't kickoff recovery on reboot (although the light flashes).

Where is usb mounted? I believe I just need to get there and run ./sp, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Whoa. The USB driver is not even installed in this version:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x5e3/0x715) is not claimed by any active driver.

Ouch, looks like updating over the network is the only solution. Any ideas?

Hi CT -

Just FYI, I have another thread on this going, relative to upgrading a speaker point from 1.2.x to 2.x. My dealer is coming out to the house on Jan 2 to perform the update, and I will look over his shoulder to see how he does it. Likely he will call the Control4 team directly, so they should know the magic formula. Stay tuned and I will post whatever I can at that point.

Thanks all. I beleieve the following process will work, but I did not finish it, see below.

1) Build a 1.3.2 USB UPDATE stick (not a recovery stick) using the utility.

2) Put that stick into a controller (HC-300 @ 1.8.2 in my case).

3) Use the upgrade utility in composer 1.3.2 (or 1.8.2, doesn't matter), it will take everything down to 1.3.2. (I did not do this step or go further).

4) Upgrade everything back to 1.8.2 (you may need to go to 1.7.x along the way).

I believe this process will work, and I think it's likely the only possible path. But, I'm not willing to downgrade any of my HCs to find out. I may do it later, when less people are home. I'd do it tonight, if I had an extra controller.

As others have said, I can confirm: Don't bother with a USB recovery stick in the SP prior to 1.3.2 - the USB driver isn't even installed on the SP.

I tried to find a way to upgrade only the SP with this method, but didn't find any. It seems the "upgrade" utility will "downgrade" everything in the project to 1.3.2 in the process, starting with the controller. It may be possible, though, it might be as simple as sort order to get the SP to go first, something stupid like making the IP of the SP lower than those of the controller. Please LMK if anyone figures this out.

So, still searching for an acceptable solution - please post if you've figured this out. Of if you can confirm that the process is pretty simple after the downgrade, that would be appreciated.

Lastly, I confirmed that a speakerpoint @ 1.2.x will operate in a 1.8.2 system in local amp mode. It will not stream audio from another place, but it will amplify a source plugged into the SP directly, with volume control from C4 remotes, etc. So if that works for you, no need to upgrade. However, I want streaming.

Note that it would be called UPDATE stick.

\While I'm not 100% on this, I THINK it won't "update" anything to a lower version, regardless of what it says. You could also power down everything but the main controller and the speakerpoint preventing EVERYTHING from downgrading should I be wrong. Note that the 300 did not exist in 1.3.2 so there will be no file on the stick to use for that 300.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CT & all -

Relative to the speaker point update, I posted the following reply in the post labeled "New SpeakerPoint Update Failure". It's relevant here, so here's the same post for your reference.

Will

--------------------------------

First, thanks to CYKnight for his help and consultation. Much appreciated.

I wanted to share the resolution of this issue with everyone to add to the corpus of knowledge here. Essentially, the dealer was at my house a couple days back and on the phone directly with the control4 engineers. Here were the options as they were explained:

1) Get a controller on 1.3.2, create a mini-project with just the speaker point and controller, and perform the update to 1.3.2. From there, you can use the usb drive, so go to 1.7.4 and so on. The challenge here is obviously getting a controller onto 1.3.2. The modern hc-300's and hc-1000's didn't exist back then, so you can't downgrade them. You essentially need to have an old controller hanging around. Past that, you would need to know how to downgrade, which the dealer didn't get into the details of because it wasn't an option anyway.

2) Send the items into control4. I spoke to their client service manager and he was awesome. It's about $75 for a SW serial flash, or $102 if a hardware fix is needed.

At the end of the day, I went with option 2. Frustrating of course, since the speaker points are a short term solution while I wire the house and go with an amp, but I like my music so...

Thanks again to all of you for your support, especially to CYKnight for going above and beyond.

Best,

Will

Archived