C4 Forums | Control4

Flickering lights

C4 user for 21/2 years, but dealer has not been able to solve the problem of flickering lights (primarily dining room chandelier - 90% of problem, 10% other zone can lights) despite replacing HC1000 w/ HC800 and software update. The problem is only when we entertain and rarely when home alone. We've replaced the 15 40W bulbs w/ 25W bulbs, ruled out baby monitors, cordless, phone, microwave, etc. We are tired of eating in the dark and of making excuses to our guests. Could it be due to cell phones? Help.

Flickering lights in our house were always solved by rebooting the DIMMER, not the controller.

Everytime there's a power blip, the dimmers here lose their tiny little minds. Pulling the tab at the top of the dimmer for a couple of seconds always fixes it.

achoudhary - it happens irrespective of certain guests I.e. in-laws, obnoxious neighbors, boorish coworkers, etc. I only wished it was bad karma, then I would have an excuse to exclude them.

MHotchin - tried rebooting the dimmer but now it won't dim beyond 50% then it turns totally off. Also, now when turning off the light, it goes to full bright before going off. Wierd!

Chesterwilson - I think I will have MY electrician check their original wiring. Thanks

6kp........should only be a hot, neutral and ground

Have you tried taking out the dimmer and seeing if it works on a reg electrical switch?..........or once you take out the dimmer just touch the feed and switch leg wires and see if the light comes on....make sure the neutrals are still connected...............thats where i would have started in the very beginning......

is that light on the same breaker as the can lights?.............

I had the same problem with CFL bulbs when I replaced the existing halogen bulbs. The load was too low that the dimmer could not deliver constant current to the load. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I installed Lutron's Radio RA2 system on the entire house and problem went away. I was going to change the bulbs back to halogen but the new dimmers supports CFL (with neutral wire) so everything works now.

This most likely is a dimmer issue so I would start by installing the old dimmer and see if the problem goes away.

Archived