C4 Forums | Control4

Kwikset Locks

Chrch01

I've had one for probably near on over 18 months now.

So I have huge practical experience with this lock.

At first I loved this thing. I really did. See my postive posts on this months back..

It was the shinning example of what a smart home should really be all about..With lithium batteries it seemed to last for ever without a battery swap. I recall I got to nearly 9 months!!! It was working sweet, and never missed a beat until I had to rebuild my Zigbee mesh...

Then I suddenly realized a huge PITA factor with this lock..

It need's composer pro..and yes, for all practical purposes composer pro ON SITE to re add firmware and re connect to a newly configured mesh.

This is simply not good enough IMHO.

A lock is a lock. It's security. Once configured it should re-add itself no matter how many times ones zigbee mesh is changed/fooled around with, dropped or whatever..

Without fail. Without a recall out for a dealer.. At best at least this should be able to be done in Composer HE

Security is security. It should be 100% robust and *never* fail.

Fortunately this lock is not on a primary door. And there is another mechanical lock as well to cover the entry. :)

Anyone use the Kwikset locks? I am having issues getting the status of locks showing properly in C4 and therefore causing automation problems. So far not impressed with this part.

^ So you need composer pro to add it properly and get 100% proper status and feedback. Otherwise it seems to have a mind of it's own.... :)

My issue is that I have a simple macro to detect when the door is unlocked and if it is wait 5 minutes, then lock it. My frontdoor is sitting there unlocked for over 30 minutes right now. Not reliable at this time. When I fix this I will share the solution.

Then I suddenly realized a huge PITA factor with this lock..

It need's composer pro..and yes, for all practical purposes composer pro ON SITE to re add firmware and re connect to a newly configured mesh.

This is simply not good enough IMHO.

So let me get this straight:

Your complaint about this lock that is designed to be installed in a *DEALER INSTALLED* system is that it needs to be installed / configured *BY A DEALER*?

Seriously?

That's not a complaint about the lock, it's the *same complaint* you always give about Control4.

RyanE

I said Re add firmware. And Re connect to a newly configured mesh... :)

and the dealer needs to be on site..

But now you mention it, why not make it easier in this particular circumstance?

Why make things difficult all the time?

It's not like organising the choice, colour and wife factor, position, type, function, and carpentry install of a lock isn't hard enough as it is...

Quite frankly what this thing needs is the physical presence of a locksmith in all this, more than a Control4 dealer..

The electronic part of it really should be just plug and play....

Why *not* make it possible for a lock (something really within the expertise of security and locksmith trades) to be fully installed..well... by locksmiths and security experts..?

Might sell way more of the locks...

If the locks were sold in security shops and by locksmiths, as plug and play, it might add a whole new larger base of referrals to Control4 dealers..

It might open up the Control4 product to an entirely different market..

But what do I know?.... I'm just the home owner in all this. :)

Hmmm. I've had several of these locks for over 2 years, and I've never needed to re-learn them or re-upgrade their firmware.

Of course, if you're going to recommission your mesh, your dealer is going to have to be involved, whether you have Kwikset locks or not.

Classic straw man argument.

RyanE

Still having problems with my Kwikset locks.

1. When unlocked manually, the status does not show up in the gui. it shows locked when actually unlocked.

2. I am trying to get a simple command to work and it does not.. is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.

To All,

Updated to the Kwikset driver and testing now and all seems to be working. Thanks for the input that everyone gave me. Control 4 actually contacted me and and basically said update the driver. Anyway, thanks to all and the Kwikset App works pretty good too.

Chris

Update! Kwikset locks are working except for one lock which is defective and has o be replaced. A note on resetting the lock which is step 8 in the manual.. You have to place the lock lever in a straight up and down position before starting the process. If you get a long beep at the end then your lock is defective. Short beep is good.

Also on anther note.. If you want automate the locking of the doors, there are some things to Pgm to covet all situations.

1. If the door is unlocked manually, wait 5 minutes, check to serif closed and the lock it. Works well.

2. If the door is left opened on purpose to let fresh air in then the above wont work. You have to key off an event of the door closing and then check to see if it is locked and closed and then lock it.

3. There are events like just unlocked then do something but I couldn't get it to work.

The rules above seem to cover me for every situation.

My Kwikset lock journey continues but getting close.

Chris

Archived