C4 Forums | Control4

In-Wall Touch Screen loses power

I am having an issue with one in-wall touch screen out of six. The touch screen loses power, goes black. I can access the TV's on screen controller but the in-wall just blanks out. A little background.

a) it started with an older 4" mini in-wall a few months back and I thought the TS went bad.

B) we were replacing all TS with the newer 5" as we wanted to add the intercom feature. Same issue almost immediately. TS came on, booted, connected to the network and was functioning.

c) TS are direct connect to a CISCO PoE switch. Tried changing port. Same issue.

d) Dealer tested the line. No issue.

e) Dealer removed and tried in another location and the TS seemed to work fine.

f) dealer removed, took it back to their shop, did a factory reset and used it in their showroom for several days without issue.

g) reinstalled and it worked for a day and now blank again.

I am left to surmise that it must be something in the house configuration, but I/we are stumped as to what. Just realized last night that it was "out" again and I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. However, I thought I would try and tap into the collective wisdom of this group and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Hello-

msgreenf sounds like he's on point. Its pretty standard practice in the corporate world, but as pricing drops on materials and increases on labor, its happening less there... The practice is "certifying" a network. This involves using a fancy machine (at both ends) of the cable not to test basic continuity but to actually produce and measure signals. This process of testing every 'run' tells you exactly what they are capable of - the frequency, the losses, the crosstalk, the length, etc etc. We have done this for some residences, but generally its not worth the costs in labor. Also, in a residence, the big cable plant installs are usually done in two steps: pre-wire (not terminated, no cable ends), then to finish and put outlets etc. This two step process makes it much harder. do you 'certify' at the end so you know what cables are imperfect, with no easy fix? Do you certify twice to see if you can catch a failure with the walls still open?

Long story short... put a real device on the complete 'run' (include patch cables) to see whats up. (problem is very few residential folks own 10-20k Flukes to test with) I must say knowing the performance and capability certainly makes life easier and you chase far fewer ghosts.

WL

I agree it'll be the line. There are other better testers out there that will detect many issue w/o costing 10k, but you're looking at a at least a k anyway. That said, freeze is likely due to communication not power supply, so you could just try and setting the TS to wireless and see if it'll be more stable that way.

Archived