C4 Forums | Control4

Custom ZigBee Devices and Control4

I have been looking for zigbee devices that are compatible with control4.

According to the Control4 SDK, the ZigBee device must be HA (Home Automation) profile.

I don't have experience with zigbee and I would like to create my own switch pad with arduino + XBee (or other compatible zigbee device).

On Control4 documentation you can see that it uses: ZigBee (802.15.4) mesh Networking

Poking arround inside the firmware of dimmers, etc, I found a string of "EM250", which is chip for zigbee communication.

Now I want to know which prototype devices (like XBee) is compatible with EM250, or even newer zigbee control4 chips.

Have anyone tried something like that?

Thanks

As far as I know C4's zigbee is encrypted separately, so any devices that need to connect directly to the ZigBee network will need to be authorised/co-developed by C4 first.

To my knowledge, C4 will not do this for a single customer basis, but if you're looking to create something new to put on the market...

No, Control4 uses standard ZigBee HA Profile encryption.

Control4 does have a few requirements above and beyond that, for a device to be on Control4's HA network:

1) Control4 doesn't support 3rd-party routing devices (end node devices are fine)

2) Control4 adds some network management messages, including the 'identify' functionality used by Control4 to learn devices into the Control4 system.

I don't know of any 'hobby-level' ZigBee nodes that are full ZigBee HA, and that would allow you to add the management messages required, unfortunately.

RyanE

Archived