C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies driver

Hi,

I wanted to have MyMovies integrated with control4 and it seems that

only extravegetables has a driver for it. And the path is encrypted!

That is annoying me a lot, why did they that?

I mean, the API for MyMovies is avaliable in the website,

anybody could code his own driver for MyMovies without this annoying encryption and some other drivers could benefit from it.

Maybe extraveg want to force you to buy drivers for media players that only extraveg sells.

I think that it's time to code my own MyMovies driver, what do you think?

Out of the cost of an entire Control4 system, the EV MyMovies driver should be no more than $150 (at least that's what my dealer charged with an admitted 40% (b.s.) markup). At such a low cost overall, is it worth the time and effort?

YES - the media management/discovery has been so poor MM is basically the only reliable way to get video into navigator. Moreover MM provides a means to rip/backup your movies (with anydvd) such that they appear in C4s navigator automatically.

Your next question to answer is what media player you'll use ? Dune and PCH are wo options. I've used both - hey work. On the PCH side I would stay away from the popbox - power supply issues and lookups every two weeks or so.

Whichever you choose you will also need EV's media player driver for the device you choose.

I would say its one (or both) of two reasons. One, they were the ones that worked with Binnerup (owner of mymovies) in developing the API options so everyone could enjoy it with control4 and they are the ones that spent a lot of time building the driver and then reworking their media player drivers to work with it which was a lot of effort (from beginning to end) so they want to recoup as much as possible. Two (and perhaps more so) is that they basiscally build, sell and support drivers. On the support side, it would be very difficult to support their mymovies driver at all when people are using it with 3rd party player drivers. You couldn't know that its the mymovies driver issue if there's a messed up player driver being used. Maybe this wouldn't happen but its easier for them to troubleshoot if they know all of the factors in play for certain. The process and driver interaction is already complicated enough as it is with fake NFS locations, etc. in setup.

The idea is to have a similiar Extraveg driver, with no path for the movie encrypted.

Then, other media player drivers can benefit from it by using my driver as 'indexer of movies' and playing through some media player driver like XBMC and so on.

I'm also working on a driver to get info from XBMC scrapper and inject this info in the controller, but I'm facing some difficulties due to the cover art from XBMC is from 100k to 1MB in size. This are taking to much processor load and time from controller in order to add this cover on media library. Usually the cover art from XBMC is not on the NAS but its on a website, so the driver needs to download the cover art and then add to control4 media library.

I have some ideas how to get pass over it, I'll test when I have some time.

Bruno, i'd be interested in assisting with that xbmc driver, i already have my own xbmc driver in place but haven't messed with the media storage stuff yet. i do know there are settings within xbmc to store the artwork locally on the drive, as well as storing it in a database (if you are using multiple xbmc's and syncing them) i have a setup to test both of these,a and might be able to assist.

Archived