C4 Forums | Control4

iPod issue

Can't seem to find anything related to this issue, but I'm getting complaints about iPods not functioning properly. Both systems are HC-800 with C4 iPod docks, and occasionally the system hangs when the customers try to use their iPods. The interface displays the iPod screen, says 'Loading...' but goes no further. LED on dock is green. Any ideas? Thanks guys...

Yes - hang an Apple Airport express on their network and connect it to a C4 amp or audio swicth. Customer can then airplay their audio - no dock required.

You can do some searches here - you'll find the dock has reliability issues.

Trade it in for them and give them a wireless audio bridge instead when it comes out. Not sure why anybody would want to use a dock with AirPlay available anyway.

Of course, maybe the bridge won't be pain free either.

^^I don't know what posts are being referenced but the docks do work. I had an issue with sound quality once but that was related to the driver or the driver playing well in the project. I removed the driver and reinstalled and all was well. Unless you're BLUE on the dock, you ain't connected.

But, I do agree with the AirPlay routine. SQ will be much better. I find myself WiFi'ing in and ethernet'ing out to a Denon often.

Trade it in for them and give them a wireless audio bridge instead when it comes out. Not sure why anybody would want to use a dock with AirPlay available anyway.

Of course, maybe the bridge won't be pain free either.

The dock is handy for me for two reasons. One is I can leave an iPod docked in the rack for random access (easy to charge and connect to system). The other dock I leave near the front entrance for visitors to drop-in their music as they come and go, which is often the case here.

Wireless Audio Bridge? No wonder Speakerpoints are being given away now...

I see your charging point, but there should be a way for your guests to do AirPlay (although now that I think about it I'm not sure how a guest network can use AirPlay, but I'm guessing there is a way). And they are eventually going to have the lightning/non-lightning issue with a dock anyway.

^I don't want to deal with a guest vlan and the in & out of WiFi signal strength. Have you done streaming from an iFruit?? I have and it is not bullet-proof. I have no idea what "lighting" issue you are talking about.

Wow, OK, 5 seconds into a read and my dinner is on the floor. I am so glad I'm not part of the fruit bunch. I didn't bother to read but is there a throughput benefit to this? Help me to understand how the existing C4 iPod dock will cope with a new form-factor?

I know its a painful change, but the new connector is so much better. Should have been something like that in the first place. They make an adapter, works fine in my car connector to the after-market radio.

The painful part is that they don't pass metadata song selection data through the Thunderbolt interface, so all those docks (Control4's included) that you can select a song without touching the iPod won't work through Thunderbolt.

RyanE

This is drifting a little off topic, if I may say so.... I'm trying to find out if anyone has this particular issue with the dock: every now and then, the customer selects iPod as a Listen source, and the interface says 'Loading...' as t switches to the iPod interface, and nothing happens, it just hangs there. Very frustrating for the customer, and very embarrassing for the installer! :(

OM. Well, I was watching a TV ad for iPhone 5 and my wife tells me a party guest with one asked to charge-up and tried to connect to her charger. I guess both were pretty much looking at each other when things didn't line-up.

Wow, OK, 5 seconds into a read and my dinner is on the floor. I am so glad I'm not part of the fruit bunch. I didn't bother to read but is there a throughput benefit to this? Help me to understand how the existing C4 iPod dock will cope with a new form-factor?

I'm pretty sure th C4 dock is not even a current product anymore. Can someone confirm this ?

http://www.control4.com/products/audio-video/C4-IPDKTT1-E-B

I assume so. Did Apple change the iPod connector as well?

Apple changed the connector on the new (read current) iPod touch and the Nano. They are both Lightning now.

The link above is not confirmation the product is still an order'ble, shipping product.

Question still stands, perhaps with a finer point, Are dealers still spec'ing, ordering and install the C4 dock ?

Archived