C4 Forums | Control4

Question about Leaf 8x8 HDBaset matrix

me23

Received this matrix from my new dealer, whose great by the way, and since this my first experience with a matrix was wondering about a few things. It appears the picture is somewhat darker when using it.

Also, it appears to have that "soap opera" effect and jitters every few seconds or so. This is viewing xbmc streaming from unraid and also from a blu-ray player. No problem using the same wire and equipment when not hooked to matrix. Using cat6 STP.

Any suggestions?

In regards the soap opera effect check your TV settings, as I have never seen a matrix cause this.

As for the jitters, there might be a setting on the matrix that needs to be addressed. A possible issue could be that the HDMI cables from the sources or at the displays could be too long or defective.

In general I find that a best practice is to use short 1 meter or less cables for any HDMI matrix and their receivers when possible.

Yeah the HDMI cables are about 2 meters. Regarding the TVs like I said they play fine without the matrix and these are on panny plasmas and not LCD which are prone to the soap operas look.

I will probably pick up a different pair of HDMI cables and see what that does.

Also a good idea is to turn on all sources and zones before calibrating

Yeah I did that. I will try changing the cables. Im using some cheap amazon basics high speed ones, I always thought the whole monster-gold plated-silver lined-magic cables were a scam. But maybe the ones I got are not the best quality, I dunno. My dealer hasn't integrated the matrix yet into control4, I am just using the manual zone input/output on the front.

Ajbarrister, as far as price it was more than 5k.

Also a good idea is to turn on all sources and zones before calibrating

Yeah I did that. I will try changing the cables. Im using some cheap amazon basics high speed ones' date=' I always thought the whole monster-gold plated-silver lined-magic cables were a scam. But maybe the ones I got are not the best quality, I dunno. My dealer hasn't integrated the matrix yet into control4, I am just using the manual zone input/output on the front.

Ajbarrister, as far as price it was [b']more than 5k.

Ouch, I would look at getting a refund, given your issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh by the way, I just did a power cycle and another calibration and all is good. Well, almost all. Here is what I sent my dealer. Wanted to see what you guys think.

So need some advice here. The game room and bar area are both in the same general area and you can see both tvs. Since I have the matrix its great to show the same thing on both at the same time.

However the game room tv also have a receiver and 5.1 sound and I’m having issues getting the 5.1, even with the other tvs off. I guess it’s the lowest common denominator thing, but I figured if I turned off the other tvs, it would be fine.

Anyway so what I have is cat 6 from Leaf---->balun--->hdmi to receiver input---->out to hdmi extender to the TV (The hdmi extender is from Monoprice, requires 2 cat cables) As a side note, the input on the receiver Im using is also pass through, so I don’t have to turn receiver on to watch tv.

I cant get 5.1 with that arrangement. I have tried a blu-ray player and hd channel on time warner.

Any suggestions? By the way, by this point I have had several beers in me and some American Honey, so forgive me if it is not totally clear.;)

It is indeed the common denominator thing, and unless the Leaf can itself take surround sound and take it down to stereo PCM AND be able to do that on a per output basis, there's little to be done as such. It won't do it on the fly.

You could consider having your sources hooked up with digital audo connections seperately from each source and put the matrix switch directly to the TV.

Archived