C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player

At what point in the process do I need to use a dealer? Here's the scenario. I have three touch screens, all installed and powered through POE, an HC800, an HC1000 for media storage, an 8 zone amp, and the dual tuner. All of the devices are connected to the home network. If I purchase composer HE and a subscription to 4sight so I can even use composer, at what point do I need a dealer. I'm not doubting your word at all, I just feel like maybe I'm missing a big step in the process then?

Yeah, dogdvr is right. You can (obviously) acquire all the components via various means, but the HE in ComposerHE means Home Edition. It is limited in it's capacity...it can't be used to build the project. While building the project isn't rocket science, it's not exactly super straightforward either. It does require a professional, that has ComposerPRO. Composer Pro is required to create the project and make everything work.

There are plenty of dealers that provide this service remotely. You can select them as your dealer in your my.control4.com account, and allow them remote access to your system. From there, with you on the phone explaining the physical connections you've made, they should be able to do everything remotely. The fee for this shouldn't be too bad, but that's up to you to negotiate with someone.

The system, like it or not, is a "dealer installed" system, meaning that it can't be done by the home owner. As you've seen, and I stated, you can scrap used equipment together (even new equipment sometimes) from various places, but you need the dealer licensed software and some training to make it all work.

Gotcha. I have no issue with that. As tech savvy as I think I am, I actually would rather have someone initially set up the system. Once the system is set up, can I use composer to add components as I purchase them, such as dimmers, etc, or do I need a dealer to install every piece of equipment? Also, to give me a head start, as I said, every piece of equipment I have is currently on the network. How do I give a remote dealer access to hack into the system and do programming remotely? Is there anything I need to do on my end? Also, can the dealer update necessary software on the components remotely?

You do need a dealer to add the driver for every piece of equipment you install.

Good dealer...Fred Hartman does a good job and does remote work. fhartman at gmail.com.

I have also heard good things about James at DiamondDesign and forum user Godzilla...as well as several others.

I use a Dune player with Dune Flash Interface. It works flawlessly. Driver is no extra cost. Firmware stable. I know there is a model with a built in Bluray player. I think it has some torrent feature ( I don't use ).

GUI is great and very robust, and free. Google Dune Flash Interface and see.

Archived