C4 Forums | Control4

Scheduler problem

mas0282

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I'm having.

The scheduler agent does not appear to be working for me.

For example, I have created a scheduled event for 12pm every day. At this time I'd like a variable to be triggered. So under the programming tab and "When [scheduled event] executes" the code is "Variables => [variable name] = True".

Nothing is happening. This isn't the first time I've had an issue with the scheduler, am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Mhh, can you link a screen shot?

Maybe you used IF instead of SET?

Is the schedule repeating?

Try something as simple to check as directly turning on a light 3 minutes from now - just to check if things trigger at all.

Setting a variable to true may work, but is it ever set to false - if not the variable stays on true, which won't trigger anything.

Well, I just tried the simple check and it doesn't seem to be working. Cant imagine what would be causing the problem? Maybe I should try rebooting the system - I don't often have to do this, am I right in thinking that it's safe to just power it off and on again (I'm pretty sure I have an older HC 300 which doesn't have the reset switch)?

I could use IF. What I was trying to do was set some global variables that I could program off depending on the time of day. I would like switches throughout my apartment to behave differently according to the time of day, e.g. the bedroom light switch will execute soft lighting late at night but during the daytime it would put the lights on full, etc. I could do this by programming each switch "if time = x, then do y", but I thought it would be neater to have variables for the times of day (morning, afternoon, night, etc) and then just have the switch programmed as "if morning = true, then do y".

Yes that's safe enough.

And on the IF - es that is much neater, but what I meant is that the schedule program SHOULD be a SET statement, NOT an IF, just meant to check that, nothing more.

The only thing that generally prevents execution of Scheduler is a timeserver issue, provided the programming is correct of course, resetting should at least set that back, but....what system software version are you on?

Thanks for your continued help. I will check the software version when I get home.

Just a couple of points on what you said:

- it's funny that you should mention the time server issue. The time on Control 4 always seems to be out - my PC and cellphone will say its 11.00am for example (I understand both of those set the time using an online atomic clock somewhere), but Control 4 seems to run 6 minutes fast. This seems like quite a big margin of error to me. I can change the time using Composer HE but it seems to revert back to being slightly ahead of where it should be. I don't know if this is in any way related.

- I'm not sure I understand the SET statement comment. I'm not familiar with this command. The way I have been setting up the scheduler is as follows. I go to the "Agents" tab in Composer HE. I select the scheduler agent. I click to add a new scheduler event. Then I specify the details - the time, how often it repeats, etc and click ok.

I then go into the programming tab. I select the relevant scheduler item as the event, and then under that event I add "variable ---> [variable name] = true" or in the more basic test "execute lighting scene x". Am i missing something? I've never seen a SET command anywhere.

From the way you wright it you are using the SET - it doesn't say SET for variables in the script line but you'll find at the bottom right that is sates "Set to True" etc, IF is under the conditional tab in that same window section and you'd get the big blue question mark vs the green arrow if used.

Let me know what version you're on, there are is a known bug in scheduler on a certain version.

I'm also still curious how you programmed under the variable, it should be something like ->

WHEN variable changes

IF variable is true

---programming

Sorry - to explain how the programming is working. I am testing it using a switch in the bedroom.

Its like this:

When switch is pressed

If variable - > daytime = true, then execute lighting scene 1

If variable - > night = true, then execute lighting scene 2

The scheduler is being used to turn the variables on and off at the appropriate time. So during the day variable ---> daytime is set to true. On a scheduled event (at say 9pm), a scheduled event sets variable -> daytime to false and the variable -> night to true.

Make sense?

Yep perfect sense, and programming should be fine.

That said 2.3 is the version with the scheduler issue (which affects time and can make schedules fail to work altogether). Now this would have been hotfixed, but on occasion this doesn't work, or there are a number of reasons the patch was not applied or "lost". A full system reboot would temporarily fix it but it WILL come back if not fixed.

There is however a patch available, or you can update to a newer version that includes the fix, that can take care of it. Your dealer or one of the guys on here doing regular remote services (just do a search for remote service on the forum) are best equipped to apply this, which will probably take care of the issues for you.

Gary - I am a fellow UK based Control 4 user (not many of us around!). Do you mind me asking who your dealer is and if they're helpful with things like this? My current dealer is great but based at the other end of the country and could be a bit more responsive.

Archived