C4 Forums | Control4

EV Ping driver: "Best Practice"

wappinghigh

I'd like to get more use out of this driver.

I think it is a very underrated driver...

Since there is scant info on how to actually set this up properly in a project, I'd like to ask those that are familiar with it, what is "best practice" in set up and how you have done things in your projects.

My project consists of 5 Controllers and 2 wifi Touchscreens.

First up the ping settings:

What is best practice here? Mine are set at ping interval 1min, reset 5min, consect fails 5.

Do you use this with say push notify? Anything else to do? or do you just use this ping driver simply for device failure notification?

Do you ping Google (internet) and your routers? What logic etc do you set up here??

Second up the reboot function:

How ofter do you do this?

Do you use it in scheduler (for a routine reboot of the system)? Or is it just for an emergency?

And should there be a logical sequence in rebooting... ie which controller first, timed order..that sort of thing??

How do you run things like this rebooting the controller running director? (as it will be offline awhile doing a reboot)..

Have any of you set up a macro to reboot an entire project like mine with several control4 devices?

Cheers

Wap :)

I should add...I have it setup to reboot my entire system if I want it too (haven't had to do it yet though). I should also add that with the Wattbox this will work, even if the entire C4 system is down and unresponsive (can't remember the last time that happened though).

I should add...I have it setup to reboot my entire system if I want it too (haven't had to do it yet though).

Thanks...

Cool....

I guess I'm asking what might be a logical step by step way to do a reboot a whole system...

Like would you do director first, then zigbee controller, then TS's... or what...

Would you add a time delay in programming such a "reboot" macro?

If you could reboot your router as well, where would you put that in the sequence...

^

http://www.snapav.com/p-1322-kit-wb-600-ipvce-12.aspx

Is a link to the website.

I <3 C4 had one up for sale recently here.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=15279

The programming sits in the device and the device is IP enabled so it can ping other devices and check they are active or power cycle them. It can also be controlled from the C4 GUI and Composer.

There are other manufacturers making similar devices.

^ Why would I do this when I can reboot all the C4 devices, using the EV PING drivers already in my project which I have already paid around $100 for... all without a hardwired new power pack, all done straight via director over IP... So obviously director needs rebooting last.. and reboot time delays are important.. just after some logic in the order and delays :)

So I'm thinking reboot (in following order):

Cable modem

wait maybe 1min

Router

wait maybe 3 min

Devices

wait maybe 5 min????

Director (last)

^ until the device becomes unresponsive to the reboot command, a locked up CM or Router for example. Then your reboot request over IP will be ignored in the same way every other request to the device is being ignored.

You will know it needs rebooting but cannot do it with a soft reboot.

Installers use these so they can fix locked up devices without a truck roll.

But for a scheduled reboot cycle to responsive devices your plan works.

Archived