C4 Forums | Control4

IP or Serial Driver for Swann NVR

xaveon

Hey Everyone,

Just got the Swann NVR8-7200 with a couple 1080P security cameras.  It's actually a great surveillance system.  I'm just wondering if anyone has created a C4 driver for Swann?  Either IR or Serial?  

Thanks a lot!

967549.jpg

Hey Everyone,

Just got the Swann NVR8-7200 with a couple 1080P security cameras. It's actually a great surveillance system. I'm just wondering if anyone has created a C4 driver for Swann? Either IR or Serial?

Thanks a lot!

967549.jpg

What is your time frame to install the system.

Please let me know about the quality of the system and how it integrates with C4. One of the big box retailers in my area was offering

That system at a killer price. I asked

my installer about them and he said he I would not like the quality of their video or their physical quality. I have a feeling that he is just wanting

to sell me super expensive equipment which I definitely don't want. I have some time before I need to purchase the cameras as the pre wire was recently finished and the speakers have not been roughed in yet. My contractor will be starting on the drywall by weeks end.

You could probably get an IR driver, assuming it has a remote, but you need to first identify, where do you want to see the video from the cameras - just on the TV, or on your Control4 touch screens and within the Control4 app on your phone?

If you just want to see it on your TV, for example to switch to that input if someone rings the doorbell, that's fairly easy if it has an HDMI output or other video output you can hook up.

If you want to view the cameras in Control4, then that's a little bit trickier if they are IP cameras. There's a certain format that Control4 needs to see and a driver will need to be written for it. Probably not a high return on investment for someone to do that, as there are a lot of other systems that do integrate.

If they are analog cameras, and you do want to view them in Control4's interface, you can choose something like the Wirepath 4channel dvr or an Axis video encoder which both will provide an output that c4 can use.

Ultimately, you need to decide if it's important for you to see the images in the native control4 interface. If so, then have your dealer setup a design of cameras that will meet your needs and budget. If you don't care about seeing them in C4's interface, and just want to pull it up on your tv, then you can probably get away with any DVR system.

I am absolutely 100% impressed with this system.  Here's why:

1. It has amazing picture quality.  In both bright and no light situation.  You can see for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKexNhcI4GI

2. The software is very mature.  I was able to get it up and running in seconds (although I believe that I am pretty tech savvy).  It supports PC, Mac, iOS and Android.  iOS and Android support remote playback (playback of recorded footage on the tablet itself).  PC and Web Interface allows full configuration of the NVR.  For me, this means that it can just sit in my rack and I can configure and review footage remotely.  I was pleasantly surprised by how mature the software was.  

3. The had a mechanism to setup the NVR with your router via UPNP, but I opted not to go that route because I have a SonicWall Appliance and to keep things secure, I was just going to VPN in.

4. They are POE cameras and the NVR has 8 POE ports.  Basically, this means that you don't need to find power.  You have to run 1 Cat5e cable to the camera and that's it. 

What is your time frame to install the system.

Mine is a retrofit, so it's already in. 

Please let me know about the quality of the system and how it integrates with C4. 

The quality is amazing, especially for the price.  Panasonic will integrate and play very nicely with C4, but you're talking about 4x the price for the same picture quality. 

One of the big box retailers in my area was offering
That system at a killer price.

If you're talking about Costco, yes, that's where I got mine. 

You could probably get an IR driver, assuming it has a remote, but you need to first identify, where do you want to see the video from the cameras - just on the TV, or on your Control4 touch screens and within the Control4 app on your phone?

That's what I ended up doing.  I couldn't find a serial or IP driver for it so I ended up creating an IR driver for it.  Works perfectly.  I've been using the Nexus 7 sitting around the house with the app as "viewers".  One Nexus in the Office, one in the Kitchen and so on.  So currently, I have the NVR output via HDMI to a HDMI splitter (this works because the signal is not HDCP) then going to my Marantz amps for various rooms.  

Ultimately, you need to decide if it's important for you to see the images in the native control4 interface. 

For me, being able to see the video feed on the C4 interface wasn't as appealing, and I couldn't find a cost effective solution that would support this.  For informational purposes, in my opinion, the SecuritySpy + EV drivers + IP Camera is probably the most cost effective solution for viewing + recording + being on C4 interface - but even that solution is pretty expensive.  

Overall, I am extremely happy with this system, and IR drivers work just fine.  In the future, if C4 or someone decides to write an IP driver for Swann NVRs - it'll be even better.  

1. It has amazing picture quality.  In both bright and no light situation.  You can see for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKexNhcI4GI

2. The software is very mature.  I was able to get it up and running in seconds (although I believe that I am pretty tech savvy).  It supports PC, Mac, iOS and Android.  iOS and Android support remote playback (playback of recorded footage on the tablet itself).  PC and Web Interface allows full configuration of the NVR.  For me, this means that it can just sit in my rack and I can configure and review footage remotely.  I was pleasantly surprised by how mature the software was.  

3. The had a mechanism to setup the NVR with your router via UPNP, but I opted not to go that route because I have a SonicWall Appliance and to keep things secure, I was just going to VPN in.

4. They are POE cameras and the NVR has 8 POE ports.  Basically, this means that you don't need to find power.  You have to run 1 Cat5e cable to the camera and that's it. 

The quality is amazing, especially for the price.  Panasonic will integrate and play very nicely with C4, but you're talking about 4x the price for the same picture quality. 

That's what I ended up doing.  I couldn't find a serial or IP driver for it so I ended up creating an IR driver for it.  Works perfectly.  I've been using the Nexus 7 sitting around the house with the app as "viewers".  One Nexus in the Office, one in the Kitchen and so on.  So currently, I have the NVR output via HDMI to a HDMI splitter (this works because the signal is not HDCP) then going to my Marantz amps for various rooms.  

For me, being able to see the video feed on the C4 interface wasn't as appealing, and I couldn't find a cost effective solution that would support this.  For informational purposes, in my opinion, the SecuritySpy + EV drivers + IP Camera is probably the most cost effective solution for viewing + recording + being on C4 interface - but even that solution is pretty expensive.  

Overall, I am extremely happy with this system, and IR drivers work just fine.  In the future, if C4 or someone decides to write an IP driver for Swann NVRs - it'll be even better.  

Thanks for your reply. Video was great and the quality of the camera looks very good;

• 5 years later...
On 1/6/2014 at 1:16 AM, xaveon said:

This is a pretty old thread but I am in a similar situation trying to decide on the surveillance cameras for my setup. The cost of the equipment from LTN is about double compared to Swann. I don't have to see the camera output in C4 interface but seeing on TVs would be helpful. Are you able to view them on TVs? Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, aag said:

This is a pretty old thread but I am in a similar situation trying to decide on the surveillance cameras for my setup. The cost of the equipment from LTN is about double compared to Swann. I don't have to see the camera output in C4 interface but seeing on TVs would be helpful. Are you able to view them on TVs? Thank you. 

I bought a house with a Swann system in it.  Ripped it out and replaced with SnapAV Luma and the difference is night and day.  Having said that if you want something thats cheap and works the Swann stuff will work (though not through Control4).

6 minutes ago, alanchow said:

I bought a house with a Swann system in it.  Ripped it out and replaced with SnapAV Luma and the difference is night and day.  Having said that if you want something thats cheap and works the Swann stuff will work (though not through Control4).

Differences in video quality or there is more to it? If you don't mind sharing your Luma setup it would be great.

19 minutes ago, aag said:

Differences in video quality or there is more to it? If you don't mind sharing your Luma setup it would be great.

I honestly don't remember what i've got off the top of my head.  Having said that the only reason why i went for it was because i have a good relationship with SnapAV and got mates rates for it.

If i had to actually choose one unbiased then i would get the Hikvision cameras / NVR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.