C4 Forums | Control4

Are these new EV driver "capable" QNAPS with HDMI out capable of HD video?

wappinghigh

^You see what dealers need to understand is that after they have set up and gone..when it comes to media management there is a heck of a lot of ongoing maintenance required by the end user.  And with XBMC this is no exception. There are also networking issues that inevitably crop up from time to time. These are large files we are talking about streaming here..Putting XBMC onto a centralised server and removing the network playback as a potential hiccup suddenly makes it potentially a more robust solution for the end user. That's as long as we can show the server itself plays them direct just fine.  Remember these files need to be played 24/7 When dealers are not necessarily around. Networks are notorious for randomly doing things at odd hours. Dealers can't be expected to be 24/7 networking engineers. Not can they be expected to configure and constantly maintain the media player. There role is to come in and set up the most robust system and get out of there.. I'm arguing we have a potentially better concept here for you all .   :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look. I'm actually an "anti" matrix guy. I always have been.. I don't actually have one hahahaha. Philosophically I am very much in the "stream out to the periphery camp". All Im saying is to do this well, you need constant (firmware and software add-on) maintenance of all the players out there. And a Heavenly network that *alway's* behaves itself.. This approach is fine for me who in a kind of sadistic way actually *enjoys* all the Tom Foolery and "carry on" maintaining a setup like this.. :)

I'm just trying to give you dealers a heads up (who use the Matrix approach for A/V distribution) that this development announced by QNAP/EV might be a nice and easier one for you to implement and maintain with fewer hassles for users like your parents. And therefore YOU :)

Parents like 5 state's away. It's only my problem a few days a year. They don't have c4 but when they come to my house they complain about the auto controlled lights and automation built around my family and our life

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Does any dealer actually have the EV driver yet? And a QNAP they can test it on? XBMC control aside: I'm particularly interested in what the driver can do to control the actual QNAP. the EV website is very scant on detail. For instance can it power on/off the QNAP? . I believe this would be very useful. What else can it do? What feedback does it give? Can anyone post a couple of screenshots of the driver working in pro? Cheers. 

I'm not sure there's much of an argument for some all-in-one box doing XBMC and storage.  But, I only say that based on my experience.  I've run centralized computers here for years with network-attached QNAPs running media and security camera utilities.  Audio and video matrix units are a must for any serious AV install.

I gave up on XBMC and JRiver.  WinMedia is controlled by any crap iPhone running Hippo. I've been streaming BD-quality stuff for years now over this set-up.  With that said, I don't understand the hoopla over something new from QNAP. 

I'm not sure there's much of an argument for some all-in-one box doing XBMC and storage.  But, I only say that based on my experience.  I've run centralized computers here for years with network-attached QNAPs running media and security camera utilities.  Audio and video matrix units are a must for any serious AV install.

I gave up on XBMC and JRiver.  WinMedia is controlled by any crap iPhone running Hippo. I've been streaming BD-quality stuff for years now over this set-up.  With that said, I don't understand the hoopla over something new from QNAP. 

Point is we now have a C4 driver for "Control". This possible with JRiver, even Win Media..?" Linux is very stable. James at DD got close, but does a one man show like James have the time for ongoing support, driver maintenance and upgrades etc etc..? QNAP's are huge in the NAS space.. XBMC has massive support. Thousands of Nerds coding 24/7 for free.. 

We still don't have DRM free itunes content. That is the real stumbling block right now.. Once that is finished XBMC will go nuts IMHO.. With DRM gone, I believe it has the potential to become the dominant media player.. that is unless some multinational buys it up and screws it all up, squashing all the innovation going on and the potential. That is of course a serious risk...   :)

^ hahahahhahaha LOL!!!! No chance.. Been there...it's crap. Hey that's a bit unfair.. I never said that guy made a huge amount of sense.. only that we needed a bit more "enthusiasm" around here! You had to give the guy 10/10 for that. I don't care if a guy is a crackpot with weird ideas.. That's where true innovation can move things on.. Where change can make things better for us all.. :) Experiment a bit.. try things out.. all good for everyone in the long run.. :)

Yeah, I don't know mate.  I don't like the idea of a box that does just one or two things.  I don't even run Vudu anymore off of the funky stand-alone box they sell.  Everything is done on an "always-on", home-built computer controlled by Hippo-powered iPhone.  Please don't make me say "iPhone" anymore- I think I threw-up a little...

My whole house is set up with media players that do "one or two things"...2 Dunes, Apple TV 3. AppleTV one, XBMC RaspPI, Windows computer, 3 or 4 macs.. is that all..no wait.. An Oppo 105, couple of other blurays, cable box, DVR player, iphone.. hahaha did I mention iphone? :)

sounds like a control4 problem!  How can control4 let someone write a driver for a box that says it can support 16 GB of ram and only have 2 GB shipped?  That should just be illegal.  That is just, wow, how would it ever work?

Buy the one with 2 and add your own ram, probably cheaper that way anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked the local computer dealer to ring QNAP direct...after pointing out the QNAP website said 16GB was possible.  This was their response: "I have received a reply from our purchasing department and this NAS will support up to 16gb and does have 2 slots however you will be required to disassemble the entire NAS to be able to insert the RAM which I have been told is very difficult therefore if you were to break any warranty seals or cause any damage while performing this upgrade the warranty will be voided.' ....I Mean ya gotta LOL don't ya??!!!!.

^ Sure. I guess so: but he couldn't even tell me the voltage.. I mean you know how it is... geezzz.. how hard can it get? (rolled eyes). Anyway, I reckon it would do the job with 8GB RAM. And It's an i3.. The video card seems OK (allegedly).... those specs are nearly as good as the DD Server.. 

I'm guessing that's a standard disclaimer. Can't be that difficult to take apart and get at the ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loads of questions on this nonsense on QNAP's behalf on the QNAP forum.. this RAM upgrade issue has been a problem with other models for years.. What a load of rubbish.. I hate this sort of BS from computer manufacturers.. Spruiking stuff on the web and at trade shows: that it will be a "solution" for a certain application.... Announcing "paid for" drivers and joint "certification" then not coming up with the goods.. Bad form. They deserve to be called out.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived