C4 Forums | Control4

One Room Control4 System - Advice

Hi all

I have recently finished my Control4 training and am keen to get a system in my house so I can continue tinkering with it and learning more.

I currently only want to do my main TV Room/Living Room. I have 3 other TV's in the house connected to a HDMI HD Base T Modular Matrix from HD Anywhere.

List of devices and location:

TV Room:

TV - Sharp LC-60LE636E (no driver, will make one)

Audio - Bose Lifestyle - Audio routed from TV's output. Volume controlled from TV

HD Input 1: Sky+HD

HD Input 2: Samsung Blu Ray - BD-F5500/XU (no driver)

HD Input 3: PS3

HD Input 4: Empty

Component: Technomate TM-5200D USB (no driver)

Basement/AV Rack:

HD Anywhere Modular 4x4 Matrix

Input 1: Sky+HD 2TB

Input 2: Apple TV

Input 3: Maax TV

Input 4: Dune Player (not bought yet, need advice on that too)

Output 1: TV Room

Output 2: Kitchen

Output 3: Master Bedroom

Output 4: Bedroom

Currently the matrix is controlled by a 'One for all' remote from HD Anywhere

What I plan to do is install a HC-250, connected to the input 4 of my TV.

To control the devices I will do as follows:

IR out 1: TV

IR out 2: Sky+HD & Technomate (via IR Splitter)

IR out 3: PS3 & Blu Ray (via IR Splitter)

IR out 4: HD Matrix.

So this is where it gets tricky, well to me anyway. Say I face the 'IR out 4' towards the IR receiver on the HD balun, will that work? The reason I want to do this, rather than a direct cable (if that will even work between both IR devices?) is so that I can still use the SKY remote to control the SKY box in the rack, rather than the control 4 remote.

So my question is, will the above system design work or am I asking for trouble. I know best practice is to have a HC250/800 in the rack but I feel it is unnecessary and an added expense for just a one room solution.

Any better ideas on how to control it all?

Ok, so lets say I don't use the SKY remotes, how does the rest of the system design look? and then will it work to take the C4 'IR out' direct to the 'IR in' of the HD Base T balun with a 3.5mm cable?

Thanks

What is the purpose of sending IR to the HD BaseT balun? Are you trying to send IR to the TV's at other locations? edit: or are trying to control items in the rack?

You'll need a SR250 or SR150 for each room and IR buds for each tv, the Card access Zigbee to IR are good for this if don't want to hard wire the IR or install more home controllers.

Reading your post again, your TV has 4 HDMI connections, your using 3 and you plan to plug in the HC250 into number 4. Where will you connect the matrix from the rack to your TV?

Right umm...I guess that was an oversight lol

I guess I'll have to take the PS3/Blu Ray out the system or put them on a HDMI switch.

Thanks for pointing that out! Better I found out now then when I've got all the equipment and realise I'm a HDMI port short!

No problem.

The equipment in your rack is best left out of the control4 system if your going to allow it to be directly controlled by the original remotes from the other rooms. You will end up with a head ache at some point when everything is out of sync.

How will it get out of sync? All the devices in the rack are something I would want to be able to use in the 'TV Room'

Apart from that, does the system design look like it will work? and what about the direct cable from the IR out of the HC250 to the IR in of the HD balun?

Thanks again

If a device only has toggle power IR code and some one turns it on in another room, you then go to watch it as well using Control4. Control4 won't know that the device is on and will send a power toggle, which will now turn the device off.

No problem.

The equipment in your rack is best left out of the control4 system if your going to allow it to be directly controlled by the original remotes from the other rooms. You will end up with a head ache at some point when everything is out of sync.

I agree with this sentiment. The ps 3 and BluRay will offer the streaming solutions to this room.

Doesn't EV offer a driver for sky?

Can't aome of this be IP or serial controlled?

Witj two remotes that don't know what the other is doing this would be a disaster.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Archived