C4 Forums | Control4

Adding powered subwoofer to audio zone.

Hi All,

I have a couple of Episode 12 channel amps and a C4 16x16 audio matrix and I would really like to add a couple of powered subwoofers to 2 of my audio zones.

I already have a copper core coax running from the sub locations to my rack, but curious how to incorporate these into my audio matrix.  Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance!

I've got the same basic set up and use Triad RackAmp 350's to handle my subs. Basic wire diagram is audio out of matrix into Triad RackAmp, out to episode amp. Not a cheap option but cheaper sub amps don't have the same flexibility as the triad amps, which is why they are cheaper.

The RackAmp also does the DSP and has good custom config options. It also acts as a crossover on the output to your 12 channel amp and can do time alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had been wondering about this for a long time.  I just got two Rel T5s for the family room since the wife banished my other one to the basement.  something about it doesn't go with the decor.

Anyway not the point.  

I haven't really asked my dealer yet, but definitely would like them to run with 16x16 matrix is running music into that room.  Do you need both the triad and the episode gear to make it work?

^Depends.  What do have on-hand now?  If you matrix-out into some type of amp, then no.  Also, your sub is powered so matrix straight into sub is the route.  This is yet another Ford vs. Chevy thread but personally, The Control4 amp is such a brute I don't feel compelled to buy anything else.  Also, I will never again buy any powered sub less than a kW. 

I've got the same basic set up and use Triad RackAmp 350's to handle my subs. Basic wire diagram is audio out of matrix into Triad RackAmp, out to episode amp. Not a cheap option but cheaper sub amps don't have the same flexibility as the triad amps, which is why they are cheaper. The RackAmp also does the DSP and has good custom config options. It also acts as a crossover on the output to your 12 channel amp and can do time alignment. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not following this.  My subs are already powered so why would I need and amp like the Triad?  I'm looking for line level to the sub not speaker level.  

Ahh, just noticed the powered sub... You'll have to split the signal after the matrix and send one side to your subs and the other to your multiple zone amp. This really isn't a great option and will cause some issues such as being out of sync. Doing 2.1 on distributed audio without something like the triad sub amp is difficult at best. Someone else may chime in with another solution but this is my experience

Ahh, just noticed the powered sub... You'll have to split the signal after the matrix and send one side to your subs and the other to your multiple zone amp. This really isn't a great option and will cause some issues such as being out of sync. Doing 2.1 on distributed audio without something like the triad sub amp is difficult at best. Someone else may chime in with another solution but this is my experience

Thanks fire/medic!

I have three 2.1 zones here powered/supplied from a C4 amp.  Wiring, for every room here, runs through an A-B switch (local or rack source) then through and impedance matcher then a level controller.  Signal is split within that array so that the sub receives audio in addition to ceiling speakers.  The "split" is either parallel or series and based on different elements (impedance) used.  The 3rd zone is still powered by C4 amp and also a WiFi SP feeding a sub.  That zone has no video (dig only) so time-align is not an issue.

I'm not catching the issue here at all.  2.1, sync?  uhh, never had problems like that...

I've absolutely had the sub not be in sync with the audio on the speakers and enough that it was noticed by more then just me.

I'm a bit of a snob though about my audio, even distributed audio. I hate splitting signals, I hate interrupting signal paths at all as those are all places for degradation. Can you do it absolutely, is it the best option? For some yes for others no. Just like some like the C4 amps and others don't think it's anything special.

Archived