C4 Forums | Control4

ZigBee router or "extender" over IP

Hi all - I was planning to extend the range of ZigBee coverage (to allow a SR250 to be used within a bathroom where a TV will be controlled using a Z2IR from CardAccess) but the Z2IR is not seeing the ZigBee network emanating from the only controller on site; an HC-800. The wall in between the HC-800 and the proposed location for the Z2IR must be extremely thick. 

I'm looking for a cost effective way of adding a ZigBee router (or Access Point - I'm not sure which is appropriate) which sits on the same LAN as the HC-800 (there are a few free cat 5e outlets in the bathroom). I know I could add another Control4 HC-250 for this purpose but this is not cost effective... can anyone recommend another way? 

Much appreciated

Mind you those are NOT over IP - the only way to get ZigBee over IP would be by using a ZigBee Access Point (ZAP), and even then that ZAP needs to be in range of the main ZAPCoordinator. And even then, ZAP only available on controllers.

So unless you can bridge the remote to the main ZigBee network using a type of ZigBee extender/repeater (be it Card Access or Axxess Industries), you will have little choice to use a Control4 controller - if you want to limit cost, finding an HC200 is probably your best bet.

I was hoping that the Z2IR would repeat the signal adequately (it does function as a repeater I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) but it's not succeeding. Perhaps the ZigBee extender from CA will do the trick - it has an external aerial whereas the Z2IR does not...

Cyknight - thanks for your informed input here, so basically without using a Control4 controller, it's not possible to extend "their" ZigBee network over a LAN??

Indeed, no-one has made any device to act as a ZAP or ZAP coordinator/Zserver.

the Z2IR is a repeater, but it's possible you may need something in between the two location to bridge (and the extender is more powerful too).

Archived