C4 Forums | Control4

HC-250 Supports FLAC audio files

My system installer told me that the HC-250 wouldn't be able to play my .flac library and I would need to maintain a parallel .mp3 version of everything.  According to this: https://dealer.control4.com/Images/Downloads/C4-HC250-BL-1/101500_RevA_HC250_DS.pdf%C2'> That information isn't quite accurate.  Anyone have some definitive information on this?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm not aware of any specific limitations, however be aware that streaming FLAC is FAR more process intensive than MP3, so if you're expecting that HC-250 to stream multiple sessions, run navigator, director, zigbee server, ZAPcoordinator, several process intensive driver, lots of scheduling, timers, while/loop programming etc you MIGHT be pushing the limit somewhat.

I don't see any specific limitations listed but I'm pretty sure I've run into it.

FLAC

Detail: We added support for Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) encoded audio files with systems running 1.8.0, and above. Any FLAC files loaded on a storage device accessible through the Control4 system (USB, NAS, or Controller HDD) can be scanned and played back just like mp3 files.

Please note: While streaming FLAC files, it can use up to 60% CPU usage if running on a HC-200, HC-300, or HC-500 controller, it is recommended  that you use an HC-1000 HC 250, or HC 800 as the primary controller when streaming flac files. If running on a HC-200, HC-300, or a HC-500 as the primary controller you must not be running it with zserver, zap, navigator, or screensavers if you want to stream it successfully.

I have this issue using a HC-800 I have some FLAC files that play perfectly and some don't.

No expert in FLAC if anyone could give some pointers as to how I tell the difference between the ones that work and ones that don't or how to fault diagnose I'd love to help as I'd like to fix the problem for myself also

I have this issue using a HC-800 I have some FLAC files that play perfectly and some don't.

No expert in FLAC if anyone could give some pointers as to how I tell the difference between the ones that work and ones that don't or how to fault diagnose I'd love to help as I'd like to fix the problem for myself also

My guess would be they are an unsupported sample rate or bit depth. There are several tools out there that could tell you this information about the target files and I imagine you would see a trend.

Archived