C4 Forums | Control4

LED Compatibility Issue with C4 Adaptive Phase Dimmers

Hello all. My first post so hopefully I can provide what's needed to get a healthy response.  I recently set up a C4 system in my home and decided to go with the Adaptive Phase Dimmers as a my choice of lighting control.  I'm using mr16 LED bulbs.  The brand is Sorra which is a fairly high end LED bulb used in showroom lighting with a  CRI of 95.   For one reason or another, they don't appear to be working well with the C4 APD.  While dimming, some of bulbs make a humming noise, pretty audible, at certain points.  In certain rooms the bulbs burn out all together.  I already changed 6 bulbs which should not be the case with brand new LED lights.  And most recently, the dimmers froze on me requiring the dimmers to be replaced.  I can't tell if there is an electric issue or if there is a compatibility issue or if the dimers themselves are just cheaply made.  Can anyone tell me if these LED's are compatible with C4 APD's?  Is there a list of compatible LED's that work with C4?  Or do I need to change to halogens all together to get the C4 lighting option to work?  

http://www.soraa.com/products/specs-GU5.3-US

+1 for what Matt said... And I can tell you first that I just did a home with all LED bulbs of various brands. The recessed where purchased from a top tier supply house at a premium, and about 20 of 50 of them went bad within a week. The electrician was pointing fingers at the control4 dimmers. I spent hours troubleshooting it wit him to no avail. We finnally got the supply house involved, they reached out to the manufacturer whom was well aware of a batch defect! They replaced them all, and we have not since had an issue.

On other notes:

1Humming is often caused by loose connections, or magnetic transformers.

2)it can be very helpful to set the loAd profile properly, some LEDs need a minimum of almost 15%. However, lost are around 3 to 7. And I typically set the max around 75, as I usually can tell no difference above that. Once the is adjusted properly, the dimmability is greatly smoother.

3)fix the dimmer to with forward or reverse, instead of leaving it auto.

4)make sure the project is updated to 2.53, there was a glitch in zigbee in 2.52, that would cause an occasional dimmer spike( although this may have only been fpd's)

All in all, I sincerely do not believe that there is a better more versital dimmer out there for led bulbs, I would find it highly unlikely that this dimmer is incompatible and if so, I'd like to see their compatibility list!

Keep us informed. I like those bulbs!

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived