C4 Forums | Control4

Programming a switch to TV from the Navigator with HC300

This is really more of a programming question... From Navigator I select TV and in the list at the bottom, I can choose either "select channel" or "Kuro TV". When I select "Kuro" the remote switches to Kuro control mode (confirmed on the LCD), but the input on the TV doesn't switch inputs until I press channel up or down or some other antenna specific action on the remote. The TV stays on the input for the navigator, rather than switching to Input = antenna A, I don't believe the HC300 is sending the input change even though all the connections are set correctly. If I select to choose a TV channel from the navigator, it will switch to the antenna input, so for some reason it doesn't work correctly for just the general device selection (input switch).

So my question is, in Composer 1.3.2 Pro, which variable and conditionals should I be using to make sure that when I select TV in the navigator, it will switch to Antenna A. I have tried a few and had some unwanted side effects. I have tried: Current_selected_device, current_media and in_navigation and set a conditional that when current_selected_device is bedroom->cable-TV then to select the input = antenna A on the TV, but for some reason this causes the system to switch to the antenna on several other actions, like selecting a video from the DVD changer when switching away from the antenna.

Should the system be doing this switch automatically? (I have noticed that some of the channel selections don't work correctly so I suspect something is messed up but I haven't removed the device and rebuilt all the inputs yet). Or is there some other variable that I should be using for this?

thanks

-Richard

Many TV's *don't have* a 'switch to antenna A' command, so you would have to specify a channel.

You could do programming in the Room, when Video Source changes to TV, press '0' '2' on the TV, so it would always switch to channel 2 when you change source to TV.

Or, issue a 'Channel Up' when it switches source to TV.

Something along those lines could work.

RyanE

The kuro (Pioneer 42" plasma) does have a discrete codes for antenna selection for both A and B. The problem is there's nothing that automatically switches it in this Control4 project to antenna A for the cable TV feed built in and I can't find the right variable that will switch it without causing it to switch at other times - like when navigating between the TV (Antenna/cable TV) and other devices/inputs.

In any case, it's a pretty simple project and small without the media data, so I've attached it. The problem is for the 2nd floor -> master bedroom -> Kuro Plasma. I've removed the fault program that was causing undesirable switching, so really only a few events and schedules active, program-wise.

thanks

-Richard

You may want to make an faux cablebox driver called "Cable TV" Copy the IR or Serial codes for discret channel selection, channel up and down. Make sure it has an RF in and out. Then add that "cablebox" into the room. Set the binding up for that cable box into antenna A. Then when you select "Cable TV" The TV will switch inputs and the driver will allow you to change channels and everything fine.

I just edited your project and made the driver. I only added Channel Up and Down, 0-9, and Enter. If you need any other buttons, you can add the code for them yourself or let me know and I'll add it. I didn't think you needed Guide or Page Up and Down. You're not using the built in guide are you?

Thanks, I appreciate your help and input.

Actually, the guide is quite popular with my wife, but don't worry, I can add those things myself. I'm just curious why it needs to be done like this instead of using the existing driver for the Pioneer TV (PDP-4280HD). It seems redundant. All the commands in the provided Control4 driver are already covered, something like ~85% of them, which is more than enough... the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the auto switch to the antenna when selecting the Kuros device from the navigator (instead of the channel).

Isn't there a way to have a program action pick up the change in the device to the plasma? I can set everything correctly after that, but I haven't found the right way to capture just the change to the plasma/antenna from the TV navigator screen. This seems like something pretty basic since there could be other things I want to do later on triggering off that same event, like pausing the DVD player (if I switch away from it) when selecting the to the TV/antenna, or bringing up the lights.

-Richard

The reason that it is not changing is because when you select Plasma TV as the video source, it doesn't automatically know that you want to watch cable tv. Since the TV is already on, it just leaves it on the current input. What does work is selecting an individual cable channel from the "Channel" menu and then navigating with the remote.

Yeah, I did hide the TV already with the new working "cable" input. The UI can be a little limiting though... with only 1 active input to the TV (cable), it should be possible to switch straight to that input without having to select it, but I guess that could also confuse users too.

As for the original TV remote, I have retired it now. I went through the new cable driver you created yesterday and added all the missing functions for anything related to channel selection, like the guide, navigation, channel return, period, enter, etc. so right now, pretty much everything is covered.

I created a fun problem:

I'm going to have to add a sense loop for the TV now, since it's possible to set the sleep timer on the TV but when it turns off, the C4 gets out of sync. There is an RS232 interface o nthe TV, it's for "service only" but according to my research on AVS forums, it can be used for RS232 control, so I may go that route too, although I have to be careful not to use all the serial ports, otherwise I'll need to upgrade this box to the HC500 or find a way to clone the serial ports.

One more thought/question:

When I added the additional keys, I realized that not everything on the original remote has a counterpart on the V2 remote. Is there any way to remap a button on the v2 remote, other than the 6 (ABCD*#) on the design screen?I'm thinking specifically of using the return hard button on the v2 as a channel return, and changing the function while in the "tuner" of the up/down arrows to be channel up/down, and the left/right to be volume (the hard buttons on the V2 for these functions are very small and difficult to use).

• 5 weeks later...

Archived