C4 Forums | Control4

Cat5e and Cat6 Manufacture Recommendations

csmpez

I was curious as to where everyone gets there bulk Cat5e and Cat6 cables from.  I know some get theirs from Monoprice, SnapAV, etc...  So, to have a central location for this info, can everyone put down where you like to purchase their Cat5e and Cat6 cabling from?  This will also help me with my future decisions on where to purchase network hardware from.  Thanks. 

Scott

Thanks Alan for your response on video distribution and Cat6 shielded TP.  Many homes, including mine only have cat5e at TVs, racks, etc.  I'm going to pull cat5e to my upstairs for data runs and hardwire my HC250 and some other AV equipment back down to the main rack vs relying on WIFI.

If you are going for cable i recommend getting CAT6 STP.  This is the requirement for HDMI video distribution for most distribution systems.

I've run mostly un shielded and not had a single issue to date. I have used shielded in a few extreme cases. I install in a lot of large municipal buildings with potential interference points everywhere and have yet to have an issue. I can tell you STP is a very weak seller for the wire industry as a whole and I have a very inside source of that info.

I have cat5e in the wall going from the rack closet to TV. At the rack I can plug that end directly into the transmitting Balun. However, at the TV end the cat5e is terminated inside a Panamax MIW 3 bay. So I would go from the Ethernet jack to the receiving Balun via a cat6 STP patch cable? Is that correct? The Wyerstorm instructions only show cat5e UTP... No mention of STP cables. Thanks.

Scott

Archived