C4 Forums | Control4

One System, Two Buildings

I have an HC1000 with a HC300 running my house and an HC500 running my barn. I have a wireless bridge connected to a switch that has a wireless AP in the barn. The HC1000 is the Zigbee Server and the HC300 is the ZAP Coordinator in the house. In the barn the HC500 is both. If the wireless bridge is disconnected I have no control in the barn. Why? If the barn HC500 is the Server and the Coordinator, why dose't any of the programming work when the wireless link is broke? Shouldn't the HC500 operate independently and control the Zigbee devices in its mesh?

I use Ubiquiti and all my APs are rock solid. The wife is afraid of Wi-Fi signals when she sleeps and since we don't use Wi-Fi when we sleep, I have the APs shut off when we go to bed or leave the house for the day. The problem is when we come home from somewhere and stop at the barn first, no Control4. My thought was, since the HC500 is basically inoperable without a connection to the HC1000, if I added an HC300 to the barn that would turn on when the Wi-Fi connection is lost it could run the barn and when the Wi-Fi connection is reestablished it would shut back off so not to interfere with the HC500. Is this possible? Can I identify devices to two controllers and then switch between them? I would use a Wireless Outlet Switch to simply plug and unplug the HC300 depending on if the HC500 is connected to the HC1000 or not.

Archived