C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer failing

I have an ELV dimmer running around 600W of lights

The dimmer has only been installed for 8 months

It no longer turns the lights off.

on click ramps up to 100%

off click ramps down to about 50%

both the dimmer and the interfaces show the dimmer as off.

I tried the 9-9-9 reset, however I am not completely familiar with what this actually resets??

Any ideas on how to fix this? or if it can be fixed?

Cheers.

Thanks Cyknight.

Yes, it is running 6 outdoor up/down pillar lights, which are all 50w hallogen.

hmmm, I take it the older LDZ models must have been higher rated??

My dealer swapped out a LDZ for this newer ELV dimmer when the LDZ failed during the upgrade from 1.7.4 to 2.5.

-at least the invoice says ELV, I better take it out the wall to double check.

Aye- ELV is a different device existing NEXT to the normal dimmer (LDZ/C4-DIM depending on age) The normal dimmer was rated at a 1000W (all tabs on/in a single gang) vs 600 on the ELV - apart from the fact that technically ELV dimmers are not ment for incandescent lights/halogen lights at all.

The current adaptive phase dimmer is also rated for 600w max on incandescent, but it's at least still intended for incendescent (the forward phase only dimmer is still at a 1000W - it's main reason of existence really)

If he DID indeed give you an ELV - he owes you a proper dimmer.

Do note that 6x50 is 300W.

Thanks for the advise, my dealer is on the case and sorting a replacement.

Dimmer is c4-tdim2-z-wh

- each of the 6 pillar lights is up/down containing two 50w halogen bulbs = 600W

I don't follow what you mean by 'ELV is a difference device existing next to the dimmer' - The unit says ELV on the back of it.

It sits in a gang of three, with one tab removed.

I am in 240V land, not sure if that means we have different types of devices over here?

Might be a good time to change these lights to LED to reduce the wattage....

Oh sorry missed that, yes 6x2x50....

Anyway, ELV dimmers are intended for some low voltage and some fluorescent bulbs - ELV standing for electronic low voltage.

More specifically it's a difference between forward phase and reverse phase dimming.

Being on 240 would make a difference however - as the electronics are different. Cant locate the 240v ELV spec list at the moment, but it's entirely possible that the wattage rating on the 240v version is higher ... or indeed lower.

Regardless, being in a three-gang box will have it's rating lowered (heat dissipation).

The inability to go all the way down using the device buttons is certainly an indicator that it's guts got fried - which is likely caused by overload.

Archived