C4 Forums | Control4

AV Receivers: Where are we at with the whole HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and Atmos thing...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/marantz-sr6009-sr7009-dolby-atmos-network-av-receivers-preview.91785/

See comments by "firstreflection" post6

Is it a good time to upgrade receivers?

Do the new matrix switches work with HDCP 2.2?

Are there any wireless powered speaker set up that you could easily put in the roof anyway??

Some of these new receivers like the new Integra's apparently will have HDTbase "built in".. so what's that all about? 

It's really hard to keep up with all this! haha

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

LOL! here we go again!!! 

I'd love comments from the pro's on whether we are here with all this yet..

Thanks! 

Integra's and some Pioneers and others have HDBaseT built in yes - it's essentially an HDBaseT transmitter so you can buy any HDBaseT counter receiver. Assuming they follow the right specs, iy eliminnater the need for a complete set. If we ever start seeing TVs and Projectors support it as well - yoiu get the picture.

I've yet to see any real use of the newer specs to date. I'm in no rush to start making changes.

Thanks for the time in replying.

There are kinda 3 "upgrade" issues here I guess.

1/ HDBase built into the receiver..so this is kind of extended HDMI right?

2/ HDMI 2 (giving the user 4K visuals) ..and further... HDCP 2.2 compliant allowing it to receive DRM's 4K content and 

3/ Dolby Atmos and what to do and how to place extra ceiling "effect" speakers..

Is that the gist of it?

1/ Ok so having HDbase built into the receiver is kind of a non even for Control4 users right?.. because nobody will be using the actual receiver as a "matrix"..ie nobody will actually use the receiver to run more than one zone... I mean nobody does this anyway with HMDI would be my guess.. correct.. so this won't be essential..

Next up 

2/ HDMI 2. This is a given you'd need that to get 4k video... and one would be stupid to not get HDCP 2.2 compliance right? for the better quality blurays...

I suggest everyone reads this thread..on the new top of the range Denon due out shortly.. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1534763-denon-avr-x7200w-9-2-13-2ch-2014-2015-receiver-details.html

....there is some great discussion (midway on towards the end) on what to do about HDCP 2.2 (given this new Denon does *not* have it.. ) It's well worth following this

As a matter of interest what matrixes are HDMI 2 (ie 4K) compliant?

Finally

3/ Dolby "Atmos".. right so the more processing channels the better would be the way to go here.. I mean at least 11.2 right?.. giving potential front, centre, side, rear,  front "high" and either ceiling or "high" on back wall... This really explains things where it's going : http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-atmos-home-theaters-questions-answered/ So potential Dolby Atoms certification in a receiver seems to be a "must have".. 

1 - Not entirely useless - it still allows feeding a matrix into the receiver, then using the receiver out to a TV or Projector (using it's scaling and audio delay controls to better effect). the HDBaseT can be set on any reciever I've used to be the main output/follow the main output.

2 - Gefen, DVDO and Extron have announced and/or released switches so far.

If it's important is a matter of choice - spend 5x as much now for unavailable content, or 'make due' with full HD now and wait till the prices drop to 1/4 of what they are now. How big's your budget. Wire now, spend now if your wallet is big enough (and you're willing to risk it, never forget HDReady TVs....)

3 - So far the biggest we've seen is 9.1.2 or 11.1 - single sub configuaration, any additional share the signal. Essentially it will all depend on your room setup and size - most rooms won't have any real benfit of the configuration - some would argue most rooms have limited use of 7.1 over 5.1. Spend to match what you spend on visuals - again, wiring for more is never a bad idea. For your average home theatre, going over 9.1 (though a second sub can help) is going to be useless - and that's from personal testing.

If you have an ear for it, it can add some extra dimension even in smaller rooms - but remember that most people still get an HTIB for their 'surround'

^ Ok. Got it..

Thanks!!!

Lets make this the go to thread on all this :)

Have you read up on the latest Denon AVR releases not having HCDP 2.2? (i've edited in the link above)...

(I'm sure you have) LOL!! 

I think it's important consumers realise the proper HDMI 2.0/HCDP 2.2 chip actually isn't even released yet!!! 

Archived