C4 Forums | Control4

Permanently linking two audio zones

I currently have two seperate audio zones (two pairs of ceiling mounted speakers) in our kitchen diner but always turn on music and then add the other zone. Is there any way to permanently link these so they always both turn on together and all changes to channel, volume etc. are mirrored?

I know that I could add programming so that when zone 1 turns on zone 2 is added etc. but is there is a more elegant solution?

Thanks in advance

The C4 amps can handle 4Ohm just fine, so if they are 8Ohm speakers (and most are), there is no issue wiring them parallel two to each channel - it will mean the volume on that zone will be a little lower % wise, but you should be able to get plenty of sound out of them (just ramp it up a bit higher relative to other zones).

Without having to do any programming, if you know what outputs on the amp feed those two sets of speakers, you could simply take one of the inputs (say the kitchen) and use rca splits as the input to the other pair input on the amp. Obviously one of the rooms (the input you unplugged from the amp)  will really do nothing functionality wise. If you do this both zones will act as one. If you have the ability to do any programming, delete the other room. This is the best solution to keep the same amplification to both pairs.

Without having to do any programming, if you know what outputs on the amp feed those two sets of speakers, you could simply take one of the inputs (say the kitchen) and use rca splits as the input to the other pair input on the amp. Obviously one of the rooms (the input you unplugged from the amp)  will really do nothing functionality wise. If you do this both zones will act as one. If you have the ability to do any programming, delete the other room. This is the best solution to keep the same amplification to both pairs.

Actually if you have the power amp don't split - just use the jumper audio out from one to the other, or use the global input and put those two (or three or four...) to the global instead of line in.

Thanks, keeping the same amplification is definitely the plan. Sounds like I need to pull the amp off the rack to have a look and figure out which option to go for.

What does the jumper need - another phono stereo cable or something else? I assume that I then just delete the surplus room from Composer?

I'm also not aware of the global input and how to use that. Which solution is preferable? Is there a manual somewhere on line that can help with this?

Thankfully the amp and much of the C4 system came with the house so I didn't have to face the price tag!!

I've never seen one but I just looked at the back of the amp. CyKnight is right. If you know what zone is the "kitchen", find it on the back of the amp. You will see a set of RCA jacks saying line out. Find the zone on the amp you want to join it with. Unplug the cables on that zone that say line in. Run a set of rca cables between the kitchen line out jacks and the other zone you disconnected line in. They will be joined at that point. Yes, you can delete the other room in composer. As for the global input, it is a input that can be shared amongst all 8 zones of the amplifier. Being that your system is using the volume commands to be ramped up and down out of the matrix, I dont think the global input will apply to you.

You can use the global input, but it would require changing connections in composerPro - ie take out 1 from a matrix and put it into global, set the desired 'shared' speaker zones to global and voila. This method is more intended for when you have more than 2 zone outputs you want to share as one system zone.

Using the line out is certainly the easier for OP right now - you could get it done without dealer interference right now (though for cleanliness purposes you'd want to have it changed eventually).

Archived