C4 Forums | Control4

It still ain't easy.

wappinghigh

HDBaseT Matrix (like the Leaf)

C4 HDMI Matrix.

JAP?

VideoStorm?

Something here called HDMatrix.com.au?

They are all 6-8k solutions here: maybe more by the time you include dealer instal time....

What to do????

Can you guys at least understand this might be a tricky decision when a customer

1/ can't actually physically see the end result demonstrated in action before committing?

2/ the market and support outside the U.S. Is totally different (yr talking one shop operations probably run out of a garage: that might not even be in business within 12 months)

3/ the video resolution standards and HDMI compliances are constantly changing

It's not like I can just "return to sender" money back guarantee if I'm not happy after unboxing, wiring, powering up and paid 3-4 hrs instal and programming time.

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying for a future 6-8K domestic spend : this ain't like walking into a hifi sore and trying something out before purchase !

Take care all. And Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry for your difficulty. 

Anyway aside from a cost "issue" I have used HDBaseT matrix solutions(Zektor) and I have deployed the Video storm gear (in my own home) and both are great.  

Personally I choose the video storm system for a variety of reasons, but largely due to the flexability of the system and I really didn't feel like pulling more wire. 

As I write this I am watching DSS on a 70" LED and the picture is perfect.  I also send 1080P content from my Bluray, ATV, Tivo and FireTV. 

the system is very slick and what I just purposed for a church project that pulling new wires in was just unrealistic. 

The fixed solutions overall are more budget friendly but the IP based solutions provide much greater flexablity. 

Oh and I have one TV that runs thru 4 switch's before finally making it to the receiver.  Works every time and looks amazing. 

If you're really worried about it, put conduit at your displays, and then put sources nearby and run a regular HDMI to a tv. need more ports? use a receiver for the switching. Surely a few local Apple TV , blu-ray, cable boxes with real cables are more cost effective and future proof than the matrix for you, since you can't decide. New HDMI spec? pull new cable/replace source/replace tv where you need it and not the whole kit. Some people elect not to have local components due to space or the added number of components, and instead will opt for the "longer term" investment of video distribution. 

Also, if you're buying a matrix now, I'm only aware of a couple of HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 models from Leaf, that won't even ship until Jan 15 at the earliest due to chip availabilit,  Crestron's DM, and HD Anywhere's Modular 4k (though the latter doesn't specifically call out HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 on any easily googled website).

Surely a few local Apple TV , blu-ray, cable boxes with real cables are more cost effective and future proof than the matrix for you, since you can't decide.

Don't I know it Cody! Don't we all do.

Problem is simple.

Maintaining 3 apple TV's, 4 XBMC players, couple dunes, a Chromecast, a cable set top box or two: the firmware. Syncing the downloads. The problems when power goes out... Don't I know it. It's what I had before and it failed in my house. :)

If there was a way around this video DRM shemozzel I'd be the first to jump on board. For that my friend is the heart of the problem.

Don't I know it Cody! Don't we all do.

Problem is simple.

Maintaining 3 apple TV's, 4 XBMC players, couple dunes, a Chromecast, a cable set top box or two: the firmware. Syncing the downloads. The problems when power goes out... Don't I know it. It's what I had before and it failed in my house. :)

If there was a way around this video DRM shemozzel I'd be the first to jump on board. For that my friend is the heart of the problem.

So you just have to make a list of the pros and cons of each, and then decide is it worth x amount of money to be able to solve Y? If yes, buy and enjoy. If no, then wait a year and revisit.

Archived