C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos as video end-point - play on start

Hi All - 

I have a room in my home, where the audio for a satellite receiver plays through the in ceiling speakers, powered by a Sonos amp.  The satellite receiver sends sound to the LINE-IN input of a Sonos amp.  The room audio and also video sound endpoint connections are set to the Sonos endpoint.  With the previous EV versions of the Sonos drivers 7.x.x -  everything worked fine... meaning that when you said "WATCH -> SAT1" the TV would turn on, the audio for the room would switch to the LINE-IN from the sat receiver and it would play.  

Since upgrading to the latest Sonos drivers 8.x.x, the satellite turns on, and Sonos changes to the LINE-IN for the sat receiver, but it is in a 'stopped' state.  Which means that I have to open up the Sonos app, select the room, and then press PLAY.  

If I change the connections/endpoints to the old drivers, they again work as expected.... changing the audio source in the room and starting it.

It could be possible (though maybe hacky) to send a play command after a short delay in programming - but if there is a setting that I can't see with the drivers, I'd rather do it that way.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

john

If I change the connections/endpoints to the old drivers, they again work as expected.... changing the audio source in the room and starting it.

John, I don't follow this part are you somehow running a version 7.x.x driver with a version 8.x.x one in the same room and project?

Its nothing to do with a limitation of the driver or the video audio end points, I've just set up a room in my system where I had the SAT box sending line level audio to a connect amp with no issue running version 8.

You may need to check you have removed all the version 7 drivers and then installed all the version 8 ones in the correct sequence (remove all your Sonos drivers and start as if it was a new install). Ensure you remove the version 7 drivers and the virtual matrix driver, then install the new version 8 'Sonos Network 8.02' driver before adding the zone player drivers. Do you have the EV pdf for the version 8 install?

Installation Checklist
1. Setup the Sonos System using the Sonos Apps.
2. Setup Music Services and Music Library on Sonos using the Sonos Apps.
3. Check Sonos system works from Sonos Apps.
4. Install Sonos Network Driver.
5. Install Sonos Zone Player Drivers, starting with a wired ZonePlayer.
6. Make Standard Audio and Endpoint Connections.
7. Make optional Line In connections.
8. Install Sonos music service drivers.
9. Setup optional Announcements to play directly on Sonos.
10. Hide sources on Navigators.
11. Refresh Navigators.

Its nothing to do with a limitation of the driver or the video audio end points, I've just set up a room in my system where I had the SAT box sending line level audio to a connect amp with no issue running version 8.

This is encouraging.  So when you say 'WATCH -> SAT' you don't have to do any additional programming to start the audio?  

I followed those steps, but I did NOT completely remove all the 7.x drivers ahead of time.  Everything (with this exception) worked fine as I added new drivers and deleted old ones (room by room).  I had not got deleted the Matrix, but knowing that this works fine for you and there is no special setting or programming means I'll go back and try that out - completely remove and then add the drivers.  

This is encouraging.  So when you say 'WATCH -> SAT' you don't have to do any additional programming to start the audio? 

Correct John, I hit watch SAT and the audio came straight out of the Sonos without forcing it to start.

I assume the SAT receiver is connected directly to the Sonos connect Amp your using for that room and your not asking the SAT line-in to be passed through the Sonos mesh/network to another zone? I did not test that scenario.

Good luck

I assume the SAT receiver is connected directly to the Sonos connect Amp your using for that room and your not asking the SAT line-in to be passed through the Sonos mesh/network to another zone? I did not test that scenario.

Actually, the 2 satellite receivers and 1 apple TV are in a 4x4 HDMI matrix.  All of this and 6 Sonos Amps are in the same cabinet.  One of the receivers happens to be in the line in for that room, but the others go into other amps - so yeah that could be part of the issue.  Still when i get some time, it may still be worth cleaning out ALL the old drivers and adding in the 8.x ones.

In theory the Line input should be shared through the Sonos amps as long as all your connections and audio end points are correct in composser however I've not tried it, but yes I would start by doing the full version 8 install first worst case keep a backup to roll back too.

I had issues similar to this, and still had one of my Connects in composer with the old driver. I removed ALL instances of the old EV driver, and re-added everything including the matrix with the new driver and I haven't had any issues since. (Well.. there was one issue but I think it is more related to the chromecast. When I switched from SAT (sonos) to Chromecast (local source) It wouldn't stop playing SONOS. So I had to programming to do a custom stop command to SONOS when the input of Chromecast was selected.

Archived