C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer LED's flashes green when turning on light

Hello,

I have a dimmer that will every so often, when turning on the light, flash the LED's green and shut the light instantly off.  I will then have to turn the light back on and it works just fine.  Any ideas as to why this is?  I am running 2.6

Then I'm guessing these are the previous style switches? - Because on overload the new ones should go red (and would need a reset).

LEDs have a very high initial rush potential - do you know the details on your lighting device (ie what generation, is it normal/ELV, is it in a multigang box, are there still tabs on the side) and what is the total wattage on the LED bulbs it's dimming.

Mhh, well that should be well below the threshhold - however, you're also well BELOW the minimum wattage for those dimmers.

Is it a major concern to swap those two out for incandescent or halogen (to test). I don't see how being below the minimum would cause the issues you see (would expect other issues though) - but it's something to start with.

Wait - you say switch now - is it a switch or a dimmer?

Yeah I got that. If you can have those incandescent in for a few days or unitll the same thing happens - if it doesn't happen then, at least we know if it may have something to do with rush current or minimum current - be it bulb side or dimmer side. If it does, the issue would be with the switch (sorry - dimmer ;) ).

I've had more troubles with LEDs in past 4 months.  A few years ago, I started in replacing with LEDs and they worked marvelous against C4 dimmers but the color was not ideal.  Now that the color temp. is about right, the new ones are flashing on/off and flickering randomly.  Make no mistake, the C4 dimmers will handle the load of your LEDs- that's not the problem area.  I would be more concerned if it were a switch but still not up against a few watts of LED.

Cheap, cheap, cheap goods.  I don't care what the box says, Cree, Phillips- all engineered to take your money now.  

Archived