C4 Forums | Control4

Matrix Trouble

Hi everyone,

Was visiting at a friends house yesterday and checking out his C4 setup (he saw mine a few years back and was sufficiently wow'd, so he put one in during a renovation).  Something odd was happening though.  He had a 4x4 HDMI matrix, 4 TV/Audio zones, HDMI, Cat5e, and Stereo RCA pulled from each TV back down to rack.  He had a Control4 8 Zone AMP in the rack that fed 2 of the zones (the others had receivers locally for audio).  The TV's fed their audio out back down to the input of the C4 Amplifier.  

When one TV would turn on to the shared Apple TV, and then the other would turn on to the same source, turning the first TV off would just mute the audio in that room (and navigator showed it was off) but the TV remained on.  The second TV would still be on and playing audio.  When the second TV turned off, the first TV would then go off too.

Anyway, he wasn't too concerned about it, thought "thats just how it worked", but I know something has to be screwed up and there is a way to make it work better.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  My initial thought was Director found an audio path through the first TV, and wouldn't shut that tv off or else it would "break" that audio path.  Maybe there is a way to force each TV to have its own "path" that can't be shared?  I also think he said there was some programming in there (he has ComposerHE) that manually switched a zone when Video Source changed in that room.

Here is the setup:

post-124349-0-36693600-1445183875_thumb.

+1 we have seen the hdmi cec on tv's and source kit do some weird stuff like switching a tv from dtv to hdmi because the blu-ray cec is still on and C4 has not put the blu-ray into standby when switching to dtv as it will wait for a room off to close it

Alright, we did a FaceTime and I walked him through the Menu's.  Nope, CEC not enabled on any of the TV's.  He has samsung so its called Anynet+, but they all have it turned off.  I'm pretty sure its something in Control4 though, because the IR flasher doesn't flash to turn off until the second TV turns off (like Control4 not directing the first TV to turn off, but rather stay on and just turn off the speakers connected to the AMP). When the second TV turns off, the IR flashes on both and they turn off.  Doesn't seem to be a problem if they are on different sources though, only when viewing the same shared source.  Any other ideas?

sounds like an issue with setup or programming. 

especially if the ir blaster is not issuing the ir command off until the other room is off.

will need a dealer involved if its a connections issue.

if its programming i would look at the room settings for any custom programming.

I'm thinking a dealer call too. We checked again in Composer and can see that there is programming manually switching inputs on the C4 amp when a video source is selected. I didn't think it was supposed to be done that way (and not really even user exposed for curious end users to possibly monkey with), but rather with connections so that C4 could "find a path" based on the wiring layout automatically. So I'm guessing it's a combination of connection issues and maybe some funny programming. Anyway thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I told him to touch base with the guy that installed it and if need be find someone else.

Archived