C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Thermostat Wiring

frieze

What gauge of wire is supposed to be used for wiring an Control4 thermostat? The contractors who did my apartment used cat6 wire to connect the thermostats to my air conditioning/heating unit and it's having all sorts of problems. Since it seems likely that I'll have to hire someone else to come in and rewire I'd like to know what the recommended gauge of wire is.

--Mark

I don't think C4 requires or recommends a specific gauge wire.

Most of the time it is usually 20 or 18 gauge. I would recommend standard 7 conductor thermostat wire (White, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Brown, Orange).

Hi Mark,

I had the same issue -- the heating system just went bonkers -- kept heating the home up to almost 80 degrees even though set to 70. Why -- first the power stealing switch was set to disabled, and unfortunately now too late, did I realize that I needed a 5 wire for common in order to properly control the system.

So first thing to check is the switch on the back set to disabled or enabled. And if it is disabled do you have the 5 wire for common?

Now, due to the lack of 5 wire, and HVAC installed 4 wire, because they did not know -- I have to replace the CR123A battery every 1.5 months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

punk - there was a jumper in the 1st versions. If you have a version w/o that jumper - than you have a BETA unit - and you shouldn't have it (meaning I'd call your dealer and bitch very hard at him for giving you a beta unit).

I'm not 100% sure Dan - but I do remember in the beta cycle it was such a large issue, that in round 2 of the beta cycle we received a 2nd unit that HAD a jumper on it. So I'm fairly certain that they never shipped w/o at least the jumper on it... but I won't bet my life on it... :P

• 2 years later...

The c4 thermostat was giving to me from a friend who just got married and bought a new home so I dont know what version that it is running I'm sure it's 2.0 tho, the rest of my component is running 2.0 firmware tring my hardiest not to call my local dealer because I have nothing good to say about them at this time.

• 4 years later...

I don't think C4 requires or recommends a specific gauge wire.

Most of the time it is usually 20 or 18 gauge. I would recommend standard 7 conductor thermostat wire (White, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Brown, Oran

we use 18/6 or 18/8 in our specs. The MOST important part of a c4 thermostat is wiring the common wire.

Hi Dan & henniae,

can you mention the no of cable to layed for controlling the thermostat by control4.  

Control4 doesn't require anything specific as far as number of wires - your thermostat and HVAC system will dictate what wires are needed and on what terminals for proper control. Just make sure you have a common wire ("C") to provide 24vAC power to the thermostat from your unit (or from a 24vAC power supply).

Archived