C4 Forums | Control4

Trouble updating HC-200 Controller

I have a extra controller from my installation way back when that I would like to incorporate in my system. The version installed was pre 1.8.

When I try to update it, USB Restore only takes it so far with an incomplete installation.  The text on navigator says the you have to complete the installation with Update Manager. However, Update Manager requires that the version be at least 2.2.0 to continue with the update.  Update Manage thinks it is at 2.0.0., which is odd because the version I am restoring to is 2.5.3.

Any ideas? 

I have done the exact same thing you have. I have an HC-250 as a director and 2 HC-300's and 1 HC-200 in other rooms. To update something that old, you have to do it in increments. Create a restore stick for 1.8.2 then to 2.2 then to 2.5.3. This worked for me. It took a long time but eventually worked.

6 hours ago, Fling023 said:

I have done the exact same thing you have. I have an HC-250 as a director and 2 HC-300's and 1 HC-200 in other rooms. To update something that old, you have to do it in increments. Create a restore stick for 1.8.2 then to 2.2 then to 2.5.3. This worked for me. It took a long time but eventually worked.

Can you do the same thing with a speakerpoint using the USB restore?

I bought a "new" speakerpoint that was pre 1.8. I used a USB restore to get it to 1.8.2, but my dealer was unable to see it remotely to continue with the instal.  

Not a problem!

As far as a speaker point, the furthest I have been able to update mine is to 2.5.3. And that is through the update manager within composer. But I will say the the speaker point is not the best product that control4 has ever released. Sometimes the updates are a struggle and when it finally goes, you just want to celebrate.

Speakerpoints do not update past 2.5.3 though they continue to work.

They generally (in older versions especially) have a tendency to stall at the point where it's supposed to reboot after applying the system image - at which point it's normally a matter of letting it be for half an hour then reboot manually.

Failing a usb restore may be simply due to it being one that has a factory restore button on the bottom - those units cannot use the USB restore. Though there is in fact a program available for them to replace the factory restore image with a 2.5.3 or 2.6 replacement (depends on the device).

As a side note, some devices cannot be restored using USB restore past a certain version (Speakerpoints are one example).

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Speakerpoints do not update past 2.5.3 though they continue to work.

They generally (in older versions especially) have a tendency to stall at the point where it's supposed to reboot after applying the system image - at which point it's normally a matter of letting it be for half an hour then reboot manually.

Failing a usb restore may be simply due to it being one that has a factory restore button on the bottom - those units cannot use the USB restore. Though there is in fact a program available for them to replace the factory restore image with a 2.5.3 or 2.6 replacement (depends on the device).

As a side note, some devices cannot be restored using USB restore past a certain version (Speakerpoints are one example).

Thanks. I guess I'll put it on eBay and look for a new model

^ I think the oldest one restored to 1/6 only - trying something else will fail, so go back to 1.6.

The hard part here is going to be updating it (depending on where you are). If you are post 2.5.3 - you'll need to get a controller on-site at 2.5.3 or below, set it up as a director, identify and register it and the speakerpoint, update to 2.5.3 - then continue as 'usual'

Archived