C4 Forums | Control4

"Press-and-Hold" or "Double-Tap" keypad, switch, or dimmer buttons?

orrinc

I seem to remember that there was a way to implement events based on one or both of the above actions, but can't remember where the instructions are!

I want to be able to press the bottom of a dimmer or keypad to turn the light off, and use a double-tap or press-and-hold to turn off all of the other lights in the room as well, so I don't need to add another keypad and clutter things up . . .

Anyone have a clue??

THanks!

Orrin

No, the 1.6 software does not have built-in double-click functionality, but it does have timers which you can use in programming to implement double/triple/etc. click much easier than without timers.

RyanE

I don't currently use the timers for double-click type functionality, I don't think it's a very good UI.

I do have bathroom fans that if you turn them on once, they time out in 5 minutes, if you press on again, they stay on 30 minutes.

RyanE

• 4 weeks later...

I dont use double taps but in the bedroom I have a setup where you hold down the dimmer and switch for "4"-(pun intended seconds) and the whole house shuts off playing a "system is shutting down" wav file...and the led's will change color after each room turns off....I haven't re-done it with the new timers, but without them it was a mess..

• 4 weeks later...

There's more efficient programming for double, tripple taps etc:

On Button Press: You should create a variable and add +1 to it each time a tap is hit.

On Button Release: You should put a 2 second pause. At the end of the pause - evaluate the variable... if variable = 1 then do ___, if variable = 2 then do ____ etc... at the end of the script - reset the variable to 0 (important!!!).

Why does this work?

Because Control4 doesn't QUE programing - so when you put the 2 second pause in - it doesn't continue with the script until after those 2 seconds - during which you're hitting the button 1, 2 or even 3 times. Then the script continues with the variable set. Works great every time.

Yes - I wouldn't suggest combining THAT much into a single button - gets too confusing... at that point I suggest a 6 button unit - and program 2 buttons for volume - leaving the other 4 for programming etc...

BUT - it could be done - just going to get confusing for the end user (you?) to remember all these things... :)

A six button would be nice, but i've got so many switches in the bathroom already it would probably be overkill.

The program I listed above actually works well, you just have to put a slight pause in your tapping unlike with your code. I think i will try yours and just use maybe an "If In session" to control the volume/led light colors.

Thanks for the input.

No problem!!!

Another idea to help you out - do all your light switches always get set at different levels? Or do you find that TWO light switches ALWAYS come on and set them at the same level all the time? If so - you could program the first light switch to turn on the 2nd light switch automatically... then use that 2nd light switch as a 2 button controller (you'd disconnect the buttons in Composer - this way it wouldn't do anything with the lights anymore). Just another idea for ya.

I was aware that that you could do that, but haven't really ever had a reason to. But now that you mention it, this could be a way of using a dimmer or switch as a two button keypad as well. I've got additional dimmers, but needed some 2 button keypads for multi-pole switches, but I would imagine I could use the dimmers for that and just disconnect the load.

Thanks for makin my brain think!

A switch has three main wires. The Hot, Neutral, and Load. The Hot and Neutral are your power source for the AC circuit, the load is what is put in that circuit when the switch is "ON". So the "LOAD" refers to whatever the switch turns on, be it a light, fan, lamp, etc...

Control4 switches/dimmers have the option of "LOGICALLY Disconnecting" the load. So even if you turn the switch on it will not send power to the load (switch, fan, etc) and vice versa turning off. This way everything can be controlled through the programming.

Archived