C4 Forums | Control4

programming/activating 6button switch

DaveI

Question

I am not a techie and have home system 2.5.1.  I replaced one of my 6 button switches to control some lights.  I programmed each button and they execute properly from my computer but the switch doesn't do anything.  The buttons are lit and it shows green on the program.  What do I have to do to make it operative?  Could the switch be bad?  Could I be missing a programming step given it executes OK from my computer?  I have little experience using Composer but want to learn more about how to change settings/etc.  I suspect I am missing some important step.  Please help.

25 answers to this question

Thank you msstafford388...I betchaya i know about pro than many dealers out there...which is all self taught...and with the help of users like yourself on this forum...but there is no place for condescending remarks like from msgreenf in this forum about who should and who shouldn't have pro...it took you less time to give the 3 steps than it did msgreen to reply negatively...thank you ,,,i have taken these step and now I have identified all my new dimmers..thank you for you help! It is very much appreciated! 

The point is msgreenf...if he didn't want help, just don't reply...but don't start telling me what's legal, or who should or shouldn't have pro ...in particular in this forum..just help or don't help...but don't judge...especially when all you guys (dealers) here (maybe not you) log on against C4 TOS and program remotely out of your local area....In any case thank you for you help...I have added 13 new dimmers in less than an hour...

I have never added a switch, or any new device....all my experience is with programming..which i can run circles around many dealers out there...So many are hacks, and in China wouldn't be worthy of a bowl of rice..C4 also considers remote programming out of territory to be in violation of the dealer TOS...so let's not talk about who is wearing angel wings...the purpose of this forum is to help, not judge or condescend.

I have never remote helped 1 person in my life. I give advice. Never connect.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have never added a switch, or any new device....all my experience is with programming..which i can run circles around many dealers out there...So many are hacks, and in China wouldn't be worthy of a bowl of rice..C4 also considers remote programming out of territory to be in violation of the dealer TOS...so let's not talk about who is wearing angel wings...the purpose of this forum is to help, not judge or condescend.

5 minutes ago, Control4@8293 said:

Say what you want..but careful being a judge, and jury .I've met some pretty nice, and well informed people here, that are very eager to help... you can help who you want....or not...just don't be an asshole about it...but the 3 steps msstafford helped me with was the right approach...you were just being an asshole.

Take a deep breath and calm down.  You may be overreacting here. @msgreenf is one of the good guys - nice, well informed and very helpful.  (And, FYI, he is correct that id'ing a device is Compiser Pro 101).

I understand there is a tremendous amount of frustration involved in the whole "end users should have access to Pro" argument - I have my own fair share.  But reactions like yours don't help the cause.

24 minutes ago, Control4@8293 said:

Thank you msstafford388...I betchaya i know about pro than many dealers out there...which is all self taught...and with the help of users like yourself on this forum...but there is no place for condescending remarks like from msgreenf in this forum about who should and who shouldn't have pro...it took you less time to give the 3 steps than it did msgreen to reply negatively...thank you ,,,i have taken these step and now I have identified all my new dimmers..thank you for you help! It is very much appreciated! 

msgreenf doesn't make the rules about who should and shouldn't have Pro so don't get mad at him for stating a truth, which is you aren't a dealer therefore shouldn't have Pro.  Agree or disagree this is the model that Control4 uses(Please lets not debate this).  Also, it's just inaccurate coming in here saying you know more than most dealers when you don't know how to identify a keypad..  This forum is extremely helpful because of guys like msgreenf, cyknight, etc.  You just happened to jump right into a weird, touchy subject of having Pro when you're not really supposed to.  

Say what you want..but careful being a judge, and jury .I've met some pretty nice, and well informed people here, that are very eager to help... you can help who you want....or not...just don't be an asshole about it...but the 3 steps msstafford helped me with was the right approach...you were just being an asshole.

You don't have it legally if you don't know how to id a device. I help plenty of people but it's my Choice who to help. I made the assumption, right or wrong, that you don't have it legally and I don't support that.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

He is right.  This is composer pro basics, and likely you shouldn't have a copy of it. A little tip since you're new...sarcasm won't get you far here.  be nice to the people who take time out of their day to answer others questions.  

in composer go to the connections tab on the left, then the network tab up top.  double click the driver in the center for the keypad you want to add.  this will pull up an identify box. at this point do the 4 press and the mac address should populate.  

I just clicked and dragged it over from the items to the room...not sure about identify screen?

Sorry but this is composer pro 101. If you don't know how to identify a device in composer pro you shouldn't have a copy of it

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure msgreenf is right - the green light comment is telling.

Go to the keypad properties under Monitoring and look at the very bottom, under advanced properties.  There is a Network box.  If there is no MAC address filled in, then the switch isn't connected and a dealer must identify it to the project (quick and easy).

(if you are using the Execute button in the programming pane, that's going to run whether the keypad is known to C4 or not.  I was thinking that you had a switch or a dimmer and your programming was controlling the load)

If you can execute the programming in HE and it does what you expect, then it seems the switch is communicating with the controller.

Sounds like the physical buttons on the switch aren't working or may be stuck.

Archived