C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade to 1.6 & Music Sync issues

Hi everyone,

My dealer just updated me to 1.6 on the old HTC's and one MC. I was very excited about the upgrade with the new zone/volume controls. Unfortunately, I am running into sync issues. I have never had latency or bandwidth issues in my house but when I add more zones now that are not attached to the MC, my audio does not sync up. At times when I have less than 3 zones, if I change the track it will sync up but anytime with more than 3 zones, it is not synching. 3 different time points running in all 3 zones. Please help as my dealer has not seen this before. If this doesn't get fixed, 90% of the use of our control4 is gone.

Please help!

R

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
I have upgraded the system to 1.6.512, and this has not resolved the issue. My dealer doesn't know what to do and C4 suggests its a network problem but my network has been running great for the longest time.

Can I get this escalated?

Thanks

R

Did you ask for the upgrade to be done without an HC300 upgrade min?

Did your dealer inform you that this should not have been done without the upgrade of Controller?

Did your dealer inform you that this upgrade should not have been done remotely?

Please email me your dealer information..

This dealer should not have upgraded without a HC300 min.

I apologize for this on behalf of your dealer for the issue if there is something another dealer can do, on or outside this forum to assist please let us know.

Hi there,

The dealer did not inform me that I need an HC-300 to get the latest version. He did say that you shouldn't upgrade unless you really need to. But he mentioned Rhapsody and other feature and that my system will be faster. Since the upgrade, everything has been slower and painful, it seems like a chore to use the system.

I will email you with dealer information... what can I do?

R

Hi there,

The dealer did not inform me that I need an HC-300 to get the latest version. He did say that you shouldn't upgrade unless you really need to. But he mentioned Rhapsody and other feature and that my system will be faster. Since the upgrade, everything has been slower and painful, it seems like a chore to use the system.

R

You need to add the HC 300. That should cure what is ailing the system.

Rhapsody will only work with the 300 or better as the Master Controller. OR a HC 200 as the ONLY controller in the project.

Just thought I'd edit this FYI.

Thank you for your help. My dealer is offering to change swap out an old HTC with an HC300 for a good cost differential. I find it silly that I have to pay money to get me back to where I was. Also, he will not do a full roll back for the system without cost.

I am at a stand still ...

Any thoughts how I could engaged C4 in this convo?

R

Hi there' date='

R[/quote']

You need to add the HC 300. That should cure what is ailing the system.

Rhapsody will only work with the 300 or better as the Master Controller. OR a HC 200 as the ONLY controller in the project.

Just thought I'd edit this FYI.

rchawla80, buy a used HC-300 on e-bay for a fraction of the cost, then have one of the dealers here do a remote config to change the director program from your media controller to the HC-300. Problem solved.

I wouldn't pay such a clueless dealer another dime of my money. What terrible support and service! there is no excuse for a dealer to act this way. let me guess, they just recently got into the automation business.

Sadly, the dealer is a premium dealer platinum with C4 with the business for a while. They are biggest in this city and I cannot find another one. The dealer just called me and basically said that you are getting me in trouble and spoiling my relationship with C4 and mine with yours, just pony up the $500 and get a swap in and true I did ask for the upgrade but he should have known that it would not work.

This is BS! I am very unhappy as I am in a loss situation. I cannot risk loosing the dealer as there is no one else in the city that has as much experience.

Uggh

"platinum" and "biggest" don't mean the best by any stretch. In reality, you can be successfully supported by any dealer in the country. They should have advised you better on the upgrade process in relation to the current mix of products in your system. A good dealer would have know that 1.6 would cause slow response and no rhapsody access without a new generation controller. for them to perform the upgrade was careless on their part and they need to be accountable for that. I would offer to split the difference on the controller price and wouldn't pay for the install. it's not your fault they have to come out again. if they would have advised you correctly in the first place you could have made a better decision. it is only fair to pony up for part of the price for a new controller as it is quite an upgrade. try to partner with them, but hold them accountable at the same time. it is their responsibility to be the experts, not yours.

He has offerred to change out an old HTC with an HC300 for 460+tax... and no charge for labour.. but thats it... and he claims that he's loosing money because of labour...

Anyways, gotta do what I have to do.

Thanks everyone. I should just become a dealer.

R

More of an update on my issue. So I asked my dealer to put in the HC-300 in the family room with the media server because I want the new UI to be front facing in the house and he wants to take away an old HTC in another room upstairs instead (I am guessing because he wants to sell that HTC again or make some money).

I am really starting to get annoyed and quite sick of this unprofessionalism ... I really wonder how much he oversold to us when we bought and overcharged us too. If there is any dealer in the Vancouver, BC, Canada area, please do get in touch with me.

Last time I went to control4, the area rep suggested this is between you and the dealer and we will not step in and the dealer called me back suggesting why am I getting them in trouble and that I will ruin "our" relationship...

Help!

Well first off... sounds like C4 DID in fact step in and call the dealer in question, that's interesting in itself.

As for a solution... ouch. You are so far off the beaten path that it may be time to take things into your own hands. Are you a "Techie" by any chance? What I'm getting at is becoming a Dealer yourself... it can't be that hard (seems they'll take anyone), and then you'll have access to all the online trainings, Composer Pro, Equipment, etc. That is, if you can't find another dealer up there, this is at least, an option/ possibility.

Edit: Or like Stash said, find a good Dealer willing to help you off site/ remotely... that may be worth a shot also.

The catch with "becoming a dealer" is the upfront investment in equipment, amount of years you have been in business, and the annual volume of other sales and c4 sales you must maintain.

Or so I've heard.

I asked that question once. I was denied :P

Hmmm, interesting. I can't really say what it takes to become a dealer as I'm just an employee of one. But it sure seems like there are a ton of clowns out there, so I figure there couldn't be too much to it, especially for someone in R's situation with limited area support.

• 2 weeks later...

A full update on my issue, apologize for it being long, would love to hear everyone's feedback:

My dealer came in and installed and HC300 into one of the zones and made it director and it still caused sync issues. How we troubleshooted this issue. We disconnected every zone from the network. We started with the HC300 zone and one other zone. After playing the song 4 times and shutting of the system, the system started synching, then we added another zone, repeated the process. We kept doing this until every zone eventually synced. It almost seems like C4 takes some time to figure out how to sync when the network is new or old for that sake?

My network setup is quite simple. Dlink gigabit router with the zones attached through ethernet and one wireless zone over a bridge.

Now, here is the twist, we synced every zone. Then I added my NAS Drive to a switch downstairs and tried streaming from it and the whole system went haywire again, 3 sec lags in every room! I removed it immediately and tried playing again from the mediacontroller or rhapsody an the lag stayed. Now I had to repeat the whole process by disconnecting everything and synching 1 zone at a time?

It just seemed really trial and miss but at the same time it worked, can anyone shed some light on this? Any way for me to get my network drive working? I am running out of space on my old media controller.

Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

R

A full update on my issue, apologize for it being long, would love to hear everyone's feedback:

My dealer came in and installed and HC300 into one of the zones and made it director and it still caused sync issues. How we troubleshooted this issue. We disconnected every zone from the network. We started with the HC300 zone and one other zone. After playing the song 4 times and shutting of the system, the system started synching, then we added another zone, repeated the process. We kept doing this until every zone eventually synced. It almost seems like C4 takes some time to figure out how to sync when the network is new or old for that sake?

My network setup is quite simple. Dlink gigabit router with the zones attached through ethernet and one wireless zone over a bridge.

Now, here is the twist, we synced every zone. Then I added my NAS Drive to a switch downstairs and tried streaming from it and the whole system went haywire again, 3 sec lags in every room! I removed it immediately and tried playing again from the mediacontroller or rhapsody an the lag stayed. Now I had to repeat the whole process by disconnecting everything and synching 1 zone at a time?

It just seemed really trial and miss but at the same time it worked, can anyone shed some light on this? Any way for me to get my network drive working? I am running out of space on my old media controller.

Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

R

That switch might be bad ? OR try hooking up the NAS dirve directly to the gig switch. Sometimes having too many switches in a system causes problems........at least I noticed it did for me.

Wait.....how many switches do you have? Do you have a 24 port gig switch or ?

I was having sync issues between my C4 amp and my surround sound receiver. The receiver is connected to the HC300 running director, and I noticed when one of the c4 amp zones connected it was connecting it to one of my other HC300's audio output. I un-bound the audio out from the second HC300, so it would use the same HC300 to stream the rhapsody. This seemed to have cleared up my issue, but it would be nice to have the additional connections.

Hi there,

I am not an expert clearly but this product has some things that it needs to work on. I am using one Dlink DIR-655 gigabit router that links to a Dlink gigabit swtich downstairs. Thats it... It just seems to be a network problem but with gigabit switches, why the issue? Do I need a more heavy duty router? if so, which one?

Archived