C4 Forums | Control4

Help with Presence Detection. Know when someone is Home/Away

I've searched the forums and Googled this for a few days now and can't find a solution. I have an HC-250 running my whole house, Kwikset lock, DCS alarm, switches/dimmers, audio and video zones, all with no issues. My network is running a Fortigate router, Pakedge 24 port managed switch, and two Pakedge WAPs. I switched to Control4 (Great move!) from an Indigo Domotics system running on a Mac Mini with Insteon devices. The Indigo system had a driver called "Smartphone Radar" (http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6876) which notified the system when a phone connected or wasn't connected to your network. It worked by scanning your router logs or SNMP. I've seen solutions like the free Ping Driver and programming user codes with the door lock which will tell you when someone arrives however, I'd like to know when they leave as well. Basically I'd like to program a variable for users Home/Away. For example, with the old system I had it programmed when the housekeeper arrived, the alarm system would disarm. If the housekeeper's phone wasn't seen on the network for more than 15 minutes, arm the security system. Is this possible with Control4? Maybe through programming SNMP Configuration in Composer? Any workarounds or suggestions on how other users are doing something similar?

Thanks for the reply Cyknight. I've tried both Followme and Chowmain's Ping driver. The problem with Followme is not all users are on my Icloud account like in-laws and houseguests. I've been using the ping driver for a couple days which works fine when you set an event to ping one phone. I have it set for example "when front door opens, ping phone" If that phone returns "ok" execute certain commands. It doesn't work when I set it to ping multiple phones on one event. I set a timer and also tried setting multiple timers to keep pinging phones to determine when someone left and it just bogs down the system.

I'd program it to check once in a while via a schedule (say 30 minutes)

Basically

WHEN schedule exececutes
Ping xxx

When ping readinf returns
IF connected, set variable phone 1 to true.
IF disconnected set to false

Do that for whichever phones you want.

Then you can program on a schedule of other event + timer (such as front door closing, start timer 31 minutes, when timer expires):

When [event]
execute macro yz

macro yz

IF variable phone 1 is false
-IF variable phone 2 is false
 --IF and so on
---Turn on alarm

I've not used SNMP trap in C4 for quite some time - it never proved to work that well for me, but that may well have changed in recent versions.

I'll try the timers and see how that works. I'm thinking 15/30 minutes will be too much of a delay. I'm trying a few things with SNMP in Composer but can't figure out how to report what's connected or not connected to the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived