C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 reliability issues

C4RVA

Unfortunately,  I've had a rather poor experience with the HC 800. I originally started on a 300, moved to a 250, and then an 800.  The 300 and 250 have been rock solid for years.  My 800... not so much. I've replaced it twice in two years. I am now keeping a backup image of the ssd since it seems to corrupt with some regularity.  For instance , I powered down the 800, put rack ears on, plugged it back in and had to re image the ssd. 

Has anyone else noticed any reliability issues with 800s?      I hope that we can eventually have co master controllers with failover. 

I believe I have had my 800 since april 2013 and I have had zero hardware issues, once in a very blue moon it seems to be slow in responding to programming for my 2,3 or 6 button keypads but it does not happen often at all so i chalk it to to resources or possibly 3rd party rogue driver? has not happened frequently enough to be a issue and has not happened in quite some time come to think of it, possibly resolved in a driver update which i suspect was the cause in the first place. thats my experience. very happy with my 800 unfortunately which makes it impossible at this time for me to justify one of the new controllers ;)

i agree strongly that it is very surprising they do not allow a fail-over type scenario, you would think it would be very easy to implement.

Seen nothing of the sort - I can't help but think that there's something in the project causing it.

55 minutes ago, vstar said:

you would think it would be very easy to implement

Yes, people always think things are easy ^_^

I'm no engineer for C4, but the problem you're looking at here is architecture for device connections on at least two levels, network and zigbee. In addition there is the controller registration required for streaming services as well as apps. Starting to look a little less easy? Oh and then there's the fact that you would need some way of seeing the main controller is down that is NOT caused by a 3rd party/minor/temporary failure (ie power-out, updates, network loss) that is noticed outside of the main controller itself (as it would be down) - because if that main controller comes back online, now you'll have two directors trying to fight each other for control. So some form of a whole new process would need to be implemented. Still easy? ;)

Add to that, the relative usefulness of the scenario - how often are there fully failed main controllers vs the impact of it being down.

The impact may be fairly high, but the chances of it happening are exceedingly slim overall - and getting less.

If anything is TRULY critical, some limited fail over (apps would be the biggest problem) CAN be done already, it can even be including apps if you truly WANT it to be (and willing to pay for it). It can be 'manual' by having the end-user flip a switch for example - or if need be you can even 'automate' it outside of C4 (power-sensing)

Archived